Playing Go IRL pictures

20 Likes

Wuzhou:
My new weiqi club (it’s all in the pic don’t expect other rooms…)

They told me there is a bigger place open on weekends, I’ll show you later when I find it

23 Likes

So the game near the front was counted I guess? It’d be fun to learn the Chinese counting style.

It’s a cool picture :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes it was players just left. There are plenty of tutorials for Chinese counting but if we have the chance to meet I’ll be very pleased to show you.

1 Like

Weekend weiqi place, wuzhou. They got a small room, half way of a security stairs, in a big commercial center.

But they play outside, the light seems much better in the stairs…

So that’s luxury now. Two places to play! Not to mention that these players are friendly and they play good!
Like in some cool weiqi clubs in Europe, the afternoon are punctuated by some good jokes and laughs, I just regret my Chinese is so bad.

22 Likes

I found back this picture from EYGC / Ellie cup 2017 @Grenoble
prize giving to Ilya Shikshin by… French current health minister x)
Imgur

17 Likes

dog’s move

31 Likes

Early morning in Grenoble I guess?

1 Like

Exactly
Go players of every kind :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh man that looks so dangerous to me… I’m so clumsy I’m sure within moments all of the stones would be over the edge of the balcony.

6 Likes

he actually almost made a glass of tea fall because he hit the board when he left the sofa just one moment after xD

7 Likes

Wenchuan-Yunnan
My first meeting with local players at the qi house in the middle of the parc.

Same time some introduction to the game started nearby

20 Likes

17 Likes

Pictures from the Dutch Open by Harry van der Krogt: Dutch Open 2021 | Flickr

6 Likes

I imagine this look is in response to an undo request :stuck_out_tongue:
Imgur

15 Likes

Just getting upset by the noises made by his opponent. Although he is the one with a hand on his bowl. So maybe someone who read more about psychology as josekis.

2 Likes

I don’t think he is angry here. He’s just an intense person, especially when he’s playing a serious game of go.

5 Likes

Under the red cloth It’s a mahjong automatic table.

The 30rmb includes tea as usual and dinner together.

The half naked he’s the boss who is a real nice guy and strong, i lost 2 games before dinner.

Some digest while others are back to play

Why Chinese rules? Because it is so much more convenient and beautiful to spread the stones all over the table.

So that was a dream halfday at one of the KUNMING go club, alkohol included.

Sorry i notice quite some blur this time maybe i was too much still in my games to take more quality pics (played more as usual, 6 times, won the last only )

22 Likes

How strong are the typical club players in China?

1 Like

5d. Not all of them but a majority.

Note that usually there are few intermediate players, maybe because of the ‘losing the face’ culture so you don’t go to a club if you are not an advanced go player (i saw them more in internet cafe ). And if sometimes you cross a child it will be the same: yesterday a 11yr couldn’t resist to comment a bit my game with a 5d and after i learned he was like 4d. Parents will not bring their child until he reach 2-3d but It’s ok they have schools and private teaching to attend before that.

9 Likes