Pocket Shiritori

I wanted to try a new take on the forum shiritori genre.

Pocket Shitori has four rules:

1. Players can take a turn at any time but can only respond to the most recent post.

2. The function of a turn is to make an unplayed word which contains all the letters in the pocket. The letters in the pocket are the final letters of the most recent word, the word before that, and the word before that. The new pocket must be declared in each post. All letters must be used, eg. if there are three lots of r then you’ll need a word like carrier. They can appear in the word in any order (you can play with them ordered, if you want, for a greater challenge.)

3. Any form of spelling that the player thinks legitimate is allowed. Letters are immutable: eg. no turning c into k or z into s. However, see the leniency of Rule 5. The player can also add unromanised orthography to their post as well, but this won’t have a purpose in the game. Adding an English translation of foreign words is also encouraged.

4. The language of the word cannot repeat within a three-word stretch. eg. the sequence Latin – Greek – Latin isn’t allowed.

As an example, a game could begin like this:

elephant (English) [ t ]
atari / アタリ (Japanese) [t i]
milites, soldiers (Latin) [t i s]
citrus (English) [i s s]
hissen, hoist (German) [s s n]
sensu, sense (Corsican) [s n u]

… and so on.

Up for a go? I’ll kick things off:

shiritori / しりとり (Japanese) [ i ]

4 Likes

interessant, interesting (masculine) (French) [i t]

Like that?

1 Like

yep!

timer (English) [i t r]

Remember, when someone adds the next pocket letter it’ll push onto the right, and i will pop off the left.

1 Like

I think autocorrect was messing with you in the OP. It should be “genre”, not “gender”.

Also, did you really have to say push and pop instead of queue and dequeue? :wink:

Anyway, that yebellzry aside,

trovi (to find, Esperanto) [t r i]

2 Likes

torridus, dry / torrid (Latin) [r i s]

1 Like

risez, laugh (French [i s z]

I tried to do a harder one.

sizzle

english

s z e

zèngsòng / 赠送 (to give as a gift, Chinese (Mandarin) ) [z e g]

Note: The tone markings shouldn’t be counted as part of the letters.

3 Likes

gaze, gauze (French) [e g e]

Just for clarification, is English available for the next word or does it need to wait another turn?

English is available, yeah.

geode (English) [g e e]

segetum, of the cornfields (Latin) [e e m]

zěnme / 怎么 (how, Chinese) [e m e]

1 Like

meer, lake (Dutch) [m e r]

Compare archaic English mere, which meant the same thing, eg. in Tolkien’s Mirrormere.

2 Likes

sendorma (sleepless, Esperanto) [e r a]

3 Likes

fearful (English) [r a l]

1 Like

In order to add to the challenge for myself a bit, I’m going to limit myself to cycling through the following list in order for my submissions:

1. English
  2. Chinese
  3. Esperanto
  4. Some other language

Since my last submission was Esperanto, I’ll choose French for the next.

parler (speak, French) [a l r]

1 Like

Yeah, I’m also finding it still a bit easy.

Should we rewrite the rules to say that the pocket letters have to appear in order? And perhaps add a fourth one as well, even?

2 Likes

But not necessarily consecutively.

2 Likes