PowerPoint slides or similar to support an talk about Go for non-Go players

I’m potentially going to do a session with my team at work to tell them about Go as part of a well-being/sharing things about us initiative. I have a feeling this has been asked before but can’t find it nor the answers now.

Are there any sides or similar resources that are available for use to explain Go to a general audience. I suppose an outline of the rules is good but I’m thinking more about the cultural, mathematical, AI and artistic elements to make it interesting to those who might not be that into “games” necessarily. I suppose my objective is to encourage them to investigate further themselves if any of it seems interesting.

If no such thing exists, I’ll have a go at making something up!

9 Likes

(I’m sorry, I had to)

5 Likes

I believe @S_Alexander asked something like this earlier.

3 Likes

I am planning to give a short introduction into go via zoom next Thursday. I actually want to let them play (capture) go during this, but I also considered showing a few slides at the beginning, roughly along the lines you mentioned. Not that I have any yet of course. But maybe we can cooperate? (Read: show me what you do and I will steal it.)

5 Likes

This isn’t what you’re looking for in terms of presentation materials, but I think this article offers great advice about introducing new players to the game.

Please have a look

5 Likes

That’s a slightly tighter deadline than I was working towards but hey I’ll see what I can do!

There are things like this for actually teaching Go but that’s not exactly what I’m doing…
https://www.britgo.org/teaching/guide

3 Likes

These aren’t slides, but here is an interactive website aimed at beginners

It was created by a team led by @AdamR

4 Likes

‘An Intruduction to Go’ by Cho Chikun has some nice extra info inbetween chapters if you can get your hands on a copy. Nb. Comments about A.I. are slightly dated.

5 Likes

I own this book! Not opened it for 20 years and had completely forgotten about the info sections between chapters, thanks!

3 Likes

You’re trying to tell me that a computer will ever be able to beat a top professional?

Laughs in 2014 :joy:

But seriously great recommendation. I loved reading that book!

5 Likes

2 Likes

Hi, there is a slide deck available which is written in german language with pictures describing the game of go within a historical context. This deck was published by Mr. Cießow during a Go exhibition in Berlin. Would that german version help?

If yes, please write me an e-mail (thorsten@bartellt.info) because I can not upload it here.
Best regards
Thorsten

3 Likes

I’m getting:

Address not found

Your message wasn’t delivered to thorsten@bartellt.info because the domain bartellt.info couldn’t be found. Check for typos or unnecessary spaces and try again.

Hi, sorry. My mail adress is: thorsten@bartelt.info

1 Like

FYI, it’s possible to share slides here with https://slides.google.com

EDIT: above link is just the presentation. I love Go - Google Slides for the more featureful (read: possible to download) view

1 Like

Not exactly a PowerPoint, but this is a very good way of getting people excited, I think - https://youtu.be/RRBjN8empIs

You should definitely use it as an idea mine on how to present and explain the game to non-players.

2 Likes