Problems (bugs?) in group chat

We have a group page for our Go club: https://online-go.com/group/1814

We use the chat box to see who is online for our virtual Go club meetings during this coronavirus outbreak. However, the chat box has stopped working on both my phone and laptop (different browsers, suggesting not a browser problem). Another club member has reported to me that they have intermittent issues with the group chat box. Can someone (admin) look into this for us please?

Many thanks

1 Like

How exactly it stopped working?

If it’s a blank screen it might be related to issues I’ve been having.

Does it work from https://online-go.com/chat page? Is the name of the group light gray (as “Fast Correspondence” and a couple of others here)?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a blank area. All the old messages cannot be seen. I can type in a new message but I can’t submit it - there is no submit button and pressing enter does nothing. This is true on both the group page and on the chat page you linked. In the list of chats, I only have this group and the global chats (countries). All are the same color. I have a light color scheme so it’s hard to tell if they correspond to the light grey or the dark grey from your image but, as I say, they are all the same colour.

Ah! Wait! It’s working again now. I went on a global chat to see if they were working and they were. Then when I went back to the group chat it was working again. Maybe some recent update required me to do that to effectively reset the chat. Anyway, seems to have fixed itself. If you don’t hear from me, assume it’s ok. If it goes bad again I will list here again.

1 Like

Most likely it’s the exact issue I described here:

Basically OGS shows blank page for chats you haven’t joined or left somehow. And since simply being on the page group doesn’t automatically join you into that group’s chat, it shows blank area.

2 Likes

Ah, ok, thanks

1 Like

And yes, I agree that your linked issue appears to be related.

1 Like

This issue is causing us a serious issue with running our meetings here. During the coronavirus lockdown I started a group here for children and it has been very successful with no problems but at both our last meeting on Thursday and the one today most people could not see the group chat (either on the group page or on the main chat page). This is a big shame because the children who can’t see what is going on just leave and so our meetings are not working any more.

It seems some people can’t see the chat, they just see a blank window. If they type something and hit enter they can’t see it, but the people who can see the chat can see it (so they are seeing the people who can’t see the chat type “Hi” over and over again, for example!).

Can someone explain to me a workaround? And/or is there some way to get this issue prioritised?

Thanks and best wishes,

Paul

2 Likes

The fix is waiting to get deployed. In the meantime, to get the chat working, each user has to go to the chat page https://online-go.com/chat and join the chat there (by clicking on the group name). Afterwards the group chat should work on either page.

Same problem occured in our youth group today. Some players couldn’t see the group chat. Also a possibly related issue: some of their messages were posted multiple times.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the information.

Somebody suggested during our meeting that joining the group chat on the main chat page would solve the problem. But the people I suggested that to said it didn’t work (of course it could be that they didn’t follow the instruction correctly).

Do you know when the fix is likely to be deployed?

Best wishes,

Paul

If they click on the chat name on the chat indicator, it brings them to the chat page, but the chat is there black as well. They have to select the chat in the selection on the chat page to see the chat.

I hope it gets merged today.

I asked someone just now (an adult who I thought would definitely follow the instructions OK, not one of the children) and he said it didn’t solve the problem.

Is it possible you can let me know when it has been merged so that hopefully I can ask people to check it is sorted out before our next meeting on Wednesday?

Thanks very much for all your help with this.

Best wishes,

Paul

1 Like

Hello @Paul_Smith,

flovo’s fix just got merged into production five minutes ago, refresh the page if you have it open and feel free to start testing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks to the OGS team for working on this fix. Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s working yet. I managed to get my group chat working again the other day by navigating to the chat page, clicking on a different chat, then back to the group chat. However, just now, the group chat had gone blank again and I had to repeat the process of clicking away and then back to the group chat. Looking at the drop down menu, it appears the system already recognized me as being a member of the group chat but still did not show the messages until I clicked away and then back again. Also, in a change from the behavior of the past few days, typing messages into the blank window did not show up when the chat came back.

For me the problem can be summarized as this:

• If I am a member of a group, I expect to be a member of the group chat by default. I think this was happening OK before and is still happening OK now.

• If I am a member of a group’s chat, I expect the chat messages to show on the chat page and the group without having to do anything to join / reset the chat. This is currently not working. I have to click on a different chat on the chat page and then back on the one I want to get the chat messages to show on the group page.

Many thanks

Brilliant, I will get people to test it now, thank you!

The fix against the blank chat is online and as far as I can tell. If it’s not working for you, please refresh the page with Ctrl+Shift+R.

1 Like

All the people who fed back to me so far say it is working fine now. Thanks!

3 Likes

This afternoon though there seem to be various problems with our group page e.g. the list of members does not display or I just get a window with a red X in a circle when trying to access the group page (and also when trying to access my profile page).

Another member of our group has reported the same problem just now.

I don’t know if this is related to the problem with the chat or is something completely different?

1 Like

This is completely different because I get this when I go to tournaments and my home page and my profile(on and off).

OK I suspect the chat problem is fixed then because when I don’t see these other problems then the chat looks OK now (and a couple of my friends said the same).