Question about chat rules

I wanted to know if writing your oponent “lucker” is allowed or not on ogs.

Go is a game of chance, in which strong players are luckier than weaker ones

I think the answer is “it depends”.

Some people might feel offended and it would not be completely unjustified. It’s like you’re trying to belittle their performance or justify your mistakes.
In a friendly tone it is completely acceptable and we certainly won’t come after you if you write it!

I personally wouldn’t warn/ban just because of this if there isn’t anything else, but it’s something I wouldn’t do as a player.

3 Likes

I think it’s fine to wish someone luck at the start of the game, if you only say “lucker” after a loss, you will probably have a few people report you and whether or not we act will depend on the rest of your conduct.

1 Like

I think we’d need more context. If it’s in English then “lucker” is not a word so it’s hard to know if it means “you are a lucky person”, “I am a lucky person”, “that was lucky”, “good luck”, “bad luck” or something else.

2 Likes

If f was closer to l on a keyboard I’d take a dimmer view.

11 Likes

If the purpose is to find out how much you can get away with, you are already on the wrong path.

5 Likes

If the game was winning for 99% of the moves its not finding out about how mutch i can do
Its finding out if this would violate rules
I want to say more but “lucker” seems to be polite enough

“Lucker” is not really polite. It implies that there was no skill involved from the opponent and it is usually called for external luck in most games. However there is no “external luck” in Go, so it is a bit odd to use it.

A polite thing to write would be “Good game. I was unlucky in some of my moves”, “Good game. You had some very good luck in this game” or “Good game. I thought I had this until move X, but I made a mistake.”

For those who want a visual example, this is lucky (still skill involved) and this is lucker (total accident and didn’t even want to do that). There are no “luckers” in Go. Even if an opponent perseveres in the game until you make a big mistake, that is also something that involves some skill.

3 Likes

My opinion is that it depends strongly on the tone and occasion in which one says such things…

Personally, I disagree with the absolute statement that go is not a game of luck; The way that the game-state changes after a move does not involve luck; but the way that some moves are selected does involve a little bit. There is a not a lot of luck involved, and it depends a lot on the strength of the players (strong players rely less on luck, weaker players rely more on luck) but there is some, that I usually see happening in 2 main ways. We are the ones making moves, and we are not completely deterministic machines. We make random decisions based on the circumstances of our lives and/or the uncertainty that we have over the possible sequences that result from our moves. Ultimately, if go involved no luck at all, then between two players one would always 100% win over the other. But this is not the case.

Case 1: You can play move A or B; You can’t tell whether A works or B works, so you choose semi-randomly. If you’re lucky, you chose the right move, if you’re unlucky, you chose the wrong move. The stronger you are, the less this kind of luck influences your games, but this doesn’t mean that this kind of luck does not exist at all.

Case 2: Just external circumstances may dictate how you play. You’re tired, you have a headache, you’re playing in a room with people talking loudly, etc; these are all circumstances that can be outside of your control, and that influence the quality of your game. You can be lucky if you’re able to play under ideal circumstances, and unlucky if you end up having to play in unlucky circumstances.

2 Likes

It’s better to avoid describing your opponent in any way.

In a world full of different people, someone is not going to like your description, and find it rude.

Why do you need to describe them? … answer: you don’t.

8 Likes

Very simple: if you have to ask, don’t say it. :joy:

5 Likes

in that patiicular game no skill is involved in the move who flipped the game.

That is completely irrelevant to whether it is an acceptable comment to make.

9 Likes

Lol saying your opponent won because of luck is bad sportsmanship. Anyway it may be lucky for them, but it’s your mistake, so it makes just as much sense to say “gosh I made a really terrible blunder there, well played”

11 Likes

Lucker is a word I didn’t know, so I consulted the Urban Dictionary.

Not a very nice word (understatement). Depending on the context I might even feel the need to report it to the moderators.

7 Likes

Oops would be a better thing to say, if you must, being a comment about your own actions rather than your opponent.

3 Likes

Thanks! Feeling my age now!

1 Like

Unless i have to quit, i don’t talk during a game as i want my opponent not be disturb in any way.

Even in a teaching game i restrain myself, waiting the post game review.

If on mutual agreement i talk, i prefer to ask as to affirm, see if we share the same opinion. And i avoid to qualify on my own the moves of my opponent.
Lucker is a word i would never use as this is not an interesting word in a review of a game.

Let’s imagine a full beginner playing a san san as first move in his first game IRL with players watching around the board. Even in this particular context i would avoid saying lucker.

2 Likes

@Kaiserderpreusen, there are forum guidelines. They are pretty clear on how to behave on the forum.

2 Likes

Now I really want to see this game. I am curious as to what move you consider to be like that and, more importantly, which of you made it :wink:

Care to post a link?

That brings back fond memories. :slight_smile: To be fair, in CounterStrike, there are many cases where “no skill lucker” is so true (e.g. randomly shooting a DEagle and getting a headshot to an invisible opponent running by a door) that you can only laugh along at your amazing luck.