Question about sound design (balance)

OGS does a weird thing with sound balance where move sounds play from the speaker channel that correlates to the side of the board the move was made on. I think this is really interesting from a spatial design perspective, but when wearing headphones it becomes severely distracting. I think it’s because the sound is completely absent in one ear, which completely breaks the spatial effect.

Are there any settings or options for sound outside of volume/mute that I’m unaware of? And if not, it’d be great to see the balance shifted some percentage in one direction or another instead of all the way.

I know it’s a nitpick, but it seems like as good a place as any to mention it, and it really gets at me.

2 Likes

Actually I think there might be a setting for it though, I never looked for it until now.

Very bottom right of the sound preferences in settings for me.

Edit1:
I’m not sure I can tell the difference on a laptop, I’ll have to try on a phone

Edit2:
Oh yeah it’s much more pronounced on my phone, really left to right ear (I forgot I mostly have stone sound off on mobile :stuck_out_tongue: ) The setting works as I expect though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s great! I guess I don’t know how to find settings? I’m on a desktop. I see the obvious stuff in my profile dropdown about day/night mode and board styles. But nothing about sound. Is there a hidden settings screen I don’t know about?

You wouldn’t be the first to find OGS layout unintuitive :slight_smile: (I didn’t know how to find friends/search for players either when I started).

There’s this hamburger menu that you can click to open the secret menu :slight_smile: There’s also a keyboard shortcut for opening it, but funny enough the documentation is also hidden in this menu.

In case you do want to use the keyboard shortcuts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can we talk about the stone sound quality (it is still a little bit about design)…?

There might be already someone working on this, but the stone sounds are not that great. In fact, I dislike them so much I always have to have volume at zero.

No offense intended to who curated or recorded them, but if pressed I would have to admit the current alternatives (Floor Goban / Melamine / Original / Table) sound all very plasticky.

I have sampled a few other gaming websites, almost all of which have better, more rounded, more harmonious sounds. Having a pleasant sound is a big deal, makes one almost look forward to play the next move.

Holy Settings! I can’t believe I’ve never noticed this menu before (ha!).

That setting was exactly what I was looking for, yes. And, fwiw, I think it’s a great feature… just throws me off when I’m using headphones.

Thanks so much for your time!

1 Like