Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

does thue-morse satisfy? something like this:

dkkd kddk kddk dkkd kddk dkkd …

where the appropriate dan or kyu player of the correct team plays

No it doesn’t. Dan black is always followed by kyu white, but dan white may be followed by dan black.

I think a random* sequence would fit the criteria, but wouldn’t be periodic.

*Randomly pick a player per turn from the correct team to satisfy the even-odd criterion.

1 Like

I am a bit confused. This …

… makes me believe that players {1, 3} form a team, and {2, 4}. Am I interpreting this correctly?

If this is true then I don’t understand the choice of s …

Is this because we think of players 1 and 2 as similar in strength, as well as 3 and 4? If we are looking for a fair sequence, should it not be constructed independently of pre-knowledge about the players ranks?

Yes, 1 and 3 play black, 2 and 4 play white. I was indeed assuming that 1 and 2 have the same strength, as well as 3 and 4. If we don’t make that assumption, we need symmetry by permutation of 1 and 3, as well as by permutation of 2 and 4, i.e. the Klein group leaves P invariant.

1 Like

Suppose the sequence starts with ABCDA (Alice and Carol are teammates).

Number of occurrences of each substring so far:

A = 2
B = C = D = 1
AB = BC = CD = DA = 1
ABC = BCD = CDA = 1
ABCD = BCDA = 1

The next player is either B or D.

But if it’s B, then AB will occur twice while the other pairs haven’t been seen yet.

So it should be D.

Then

A = D = 2
B = C = 1

AB = BC = CD = DA = AD = 1
Other pairs = 0

ABC = BCD = CDA = DAD = 1
Other triples = 0

Etc.

This approach is similar to stride scheduling (section 9.6) used in operating systems.

1 Like

So you just start with something and add what’s missing? But I think it will become very hard to track what’s missing when subsequences of arbitrary length shall be tracked.

1 Like

Maybe we can do the following.

A and B are in the same team. Consider two symmetries : the first one exchanges A and B, the second one exchanges C and D.

Start with ACBD. Append the first symmetry applied to this sequence:
ACBD BCAD
Append the second symmetry applied to this sequence:
ACBD BCAD ADBC BDAC
Append the first symmetry applied to this sequence
etc.

3 Likes

This is a huge issue for phantom rengo.

I feel this must have been covered before somewhere but I can’t find it.
What is the collective noun for go players?

6 Likes

Is that a pun in itself?

I’ll make a guess anyway.

In Italian I’ve heard often “goisti” which could translate to “goists” in English (similarly to pharmacists, therapists and so on).
Which also could lead to say that online go players are e-goists! :smile:

I fear that the alternative “goers” could be misunderstood, even though go players tend to “regularly attend” go playing. :innocent:
But I just discovered that this would be offensive for female players. :grimacing:

Any other option?

10 Likes

Go addicts?

4 Likes

So I was thinking along the lines of
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_collective_nouns_by_subject

Which is not to be trusted apparently but seems fun and accurate in places at least.

I had in mind that since “players” are usually a team¹ of players maybe it would be a “Rengo of Go players” that made me think that maybe it should be a “dango” but I didn’t really like repetition of the “go” sound in either. Maybe “a kyu of Go players” is suitably liable to being misheard?
A pedantry of Go players?
??

1. I see in that wiki list that players are a huddle or retinue which might be good enough of players of Go
5 Likes

Suggestion: “A board of go players.”
Alternatively: “A forum of go players.”

6 Likes
  • A group of go players
  • A chain of go players
  • A dragon of go players
  • A dumpling of go players
  • A moyo of go players
  • A wall of go players
11 Likes

A bunch of stoners.

14 Likes

I think the ideal is to have a single word. I like @Lys’s goisti or goists. English has other Italian loan words with the -isti ending (although my old brain can’t think of them at the moment), so that doesn’t bother me.

Great pun, Lys!

1 Like

Stone collective

5 Likes

Chess players (as in a “brood of Chess players”) made it to that list haha

But I find it hard to take that list seriously since it doesn’t link to recorded usages…

4 Likes

I think it only counts as a brood if those chess players learned chess at the same place or from the same teacher.

2 Likes