Quick Positions

Q18 for a kill?

So you think it’s unsettled – White plays and it dies, Black plays and it lives?

Bit hard to read but a lot of aji on the upper side around H17 and L17 (or M18)

Bit hard to read but a lot of aji

Of course, that’s why I posted it!

I bet it can live, don’t ask me how.

Even if Black plays s18 White can still play q18 :slight_smile:

There’s supposed to be some ladder variations and things.

I was supposed to have studied this before and there’s a ‘strong resistance’ which I think was meant to depend on ladders

eg this ladder

The reason you don’t want to connect against the peep is of course

That’s the quick analysis.

The deep analysis is I don’t know, and you nearly need to take into account every stone in the upper right corner. Black can try attaching at q14 first, or as groin said try to use L17 to get some other forcing moves.

There could be like 20 move sequences to live or make a ko or something but it’s way beyond my tsumego brain.

3 Likes

Would you rather play a or b as Black, for (3)?

I suspect that they’re equally good in real terms, but I feel that a is more my style, at least right now.
b probably has the slightly higher WR, but I doubt as much as even half a point estimation.

Or would you rather play away, eg. to the bottom side?

I find that in older games, up to around fifty or sixty years ago, a and b often combine to make a four-stone structure with the komoku anyway; so this is almost an issue of move order.

I would recommend B. It encloses the corner tightly and strengthens Blacks right-side potential.

A seems to try and grow the potential in a big fashion. But so big that an invasion seems too easy for white, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Aaaaaaaa

B prepares to fight. 2 white groups if w decide s to come on the right side
A is too like a compromise, and compromise don’t work well. If I were to put pressure on w upper side I would at least play a Keima.

1 Like

(This isn’t my game, it’s a 6k-ish matchup.)

White a was the game move.

I thought that felt a bit rushed, so I suggested preparing first with c.

Then I had the idea of b, playing for the centre.

When I was making the diagram, I had the thought that b is a bit committal and that it might be positionally safer to play something on the left side, like d.

Black move, right?

d, b is small and b is weird too, wouldn’t it be F5 instead.

I definitely pick c

No, White to play.

I resign.

Really? I don’t think White is worse.

I choose b then as white

1 Like

I think the shape point might actually be H5.

That’s what was played in the pro game Liu–Fujisawa '92, without any play having happened on the top side; and Black just connected underneath with a kosumi.

that’s good to know. and i am sure b is the shape too, cause i read it somewhere

Both look playable (B and H5)

The R12 invasion seems attractive to me :sweat_smile: