Quick Positions

Sure but do you think the timing appropriate?

I donā€™t know, but so far R12 is the move I favour in the given position.

//Edit: There is a possible cut around Q7 for later.

1 Like

But my thoughts is because of the q7 cut, black canā€™t defend this area in one move, thus it is not the most urgent.

this is common shape, but a little complex to me, not really sure.

Sure and the peep and the sansan. But black will develop a thickness erasing w moyo at the top

Do you think thereā€™s any way for Black to live in the lower left?

Blackā€™s stones on the top edge are alive.

I was trying out some variations that seemed promising, especially with D2 as the key move, but I couldnā€™t find a thoroughly reliable path to life.

dead

J3 threatening J5 may help too

1 Like

The earlier position is even more interesting.

1 Like

I was just reviewing a game with a joseki I wasnā€™t familiar with, because it became a lot less popular at the turn of this century. It emerges from the Q16 push-in at Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS

It has an established continuation like this:

A question appeared to me, though: what if (2) is played at (3), resisting the capture of the D2 stone?

Here is a line I thought up, which seems reasonable to me at my 3ā€“5k level:

It seems possible that, if one were very good at semeai, perhaps (15) could be played at (16). I, however, am not.

Difficult to judge. I would think this is too good to be true for black. In that case, white can play 11 at 16

My worry, as a player ā€“ as stated ā€“ not great at semeai, is what happens if White plays (11) at (16) and Black plays (12) somewhere in the corner, eg. at B2.

In a simple analysis, White would then have only four liberties to Blackā€™s five.

idk, i quit. donā€™t like to study live or death

i wouldnā€™t worry about my style of playing to decide moves though. if i feel in theory it is good for me, i would play. i donā€™t think i am good at any style anyway

Wait, how does black kills the white corner if it plays at 16?

IDK. Iā€™m just noting that Whiteā€™s liberties become less than Blackā€™s and White has no defined eyespace, therefore implying a semeai will take place.

Also, if White does play (11) at (16) and Black crawls again, what then? Weā€™re faced with the same choice between a further extension and a defence inside the corner.

Thatā€™s your problem then. :joy:

In my plays, I try to avoid this kind of complexity at the first place, cause itā€™s impossible for me to read this out, even without time pressure. Especially this early stage of the game, I am not ready to gamble.

On second thought, i would just give up the corner, white is not necessarily losing and if it turns out white lives in the corner ā€¦

Fuseki problem posted by David Mitchell in the Sydney Go Journal #6 (2006).

To me, E feels a bit smallminded (or subwayish?) and C looks to miss the point. B I consider to be in a slightly small area.

A looks nice but I donā€™t think Iā€™d find it in a game. It has a bottish taste.

So Iā€™d play D here, which feels most natural to me.

Solution given

A

Note, however, that this is not a professional position, and many amateur fuseki exercises have been originally given solutions that professionals have later disagreed with or found not to be convincingly the best.

Mitchell doesnā€™t give his reasoning.

1 Like

After being shown the bottish move A, I would have chosen that. Otherwise I would be torn between E and C.

1 Like

I think something around tengen would also be interesting.

1 Like

Fuseki is outdated.