If A5 or J2, then J4.

1 Like

Cool.

So J2 J4 and then A5.

1 Like

Pass!

2 Likes

Same, just trying to count it :slight_smile:

Edit: Is it White 43 - 42 Black as in W+1?

2 Likes

Yep, I agree with that score!

Black area (from top to bottom): 9+9+8+7+4+4+1 = 42
White area (from bottom to top): 9+8+8+4+4+2+1 + 7 komi = 43

Thank you for the game!

2 Likes

Thanks for the game, very interesting, and quite tough :slight_smile:

Here’s a recap of the game

and one that loops

4 Likes

Awesome game, thank you for playing @shinuito @le_4TC !

Move 23 seemed like a very important moment to me. I’m wondering if both of you considered the following variations and what you think of it.

… would cutting in the corner instead of the outside make a difference here?

Perhaps black can make life this way?

In any case, I really enjoyed spectating this game. How do you like the variant?

1 Like

Both those variations are probably winning for black. The issue for me is that I’m not alive yet along the lower side (D9 kills locally it looks like) so if I can’t kill G7 I’m in trouble :slight_smile:

I think I misplayed the opening, and had to claw my way back into the game. The shapes around the holes are very counterintuitive, so there was lots of brute-force reading to handle the life and death and endgame there.

The capturing race in the upper right was interesting, and could have just as well happened on a normal board. In this position black can choose between two different ko variations, G2 and J1:

I think G2 is better than J1, since it lets black take the ko first (G2 J2 J1):

Also when black eventually finishes the ko with J3, it’s slightly better endgame compared to the game (where white got J3 instead in the end) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Right, thank you for the comment. In case somebody is interested, I’d like to share these variations after 23. H4:

In this variation I wonder if white can do something in the upper-left, for example play B3.

Here it might result in a capturing race between whites group on the lower side and blacks group on the right side.

2 Likes

Yeah I think I was weighing up cutting on either side, but getting confused by the variations, trying to figure out which one le_4tc would choose :slight_smile:

I didn’t realise it was a ko in the corner.

I also didn’t realise my choice :stuck_out_tongue:

this looks pretty cool too and it didn’t even occur to me. There was a couple of times where I had to watch out for Black’s liberties in the middle of the board because of the holes.

I think it was a good game, and the variant is really cool :slight_smile:

Definitely an interesting reading exercise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Anybody want to play on a bigger board with lots of gaps? Like 13x13 with ~40 random gaps :grin:

1 Like

It might be nice for you to post the looping one in Images of newer times.

Perhaps slow it down a bit as well?

1 Like

It sounds cool, might wait to see if anyone else wants to get involved first :slight_smile:

We might run into this islands idea yebellz was talking about Random Gaps + Pie Rule - #187 by yebellz . Although one could just generate a few times to avoid that.

I’ll have to update the tool to change board sizes. Initially I just wanted something working and there was a good bit to learn re css javascript etc :slight_smile: might be a good few things to change :slight_smile:

@bugcat as in

slow enough?

2 Likes

If that’s what you’re happy with~

I mean I was happy just posting the one or two gifs in this thread, as opposed to make more, and slowing them down for another thread? :stuck_out_tongue:

It was only a suggestion > ω <

Translation of @bugcat s response: Perhaps a bit slower would be good.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I did eventually rewrite lots of things to try and make other board sizes work. I think initially I was just happy learning things in css, javascript etc, but didn’t make some things easy on myself to change the board size.

Enough changed that I just moved it to a new page

https://shinuito.github.io/nxnboard.html

Let me know if I’ve broken anything too, in particular if it’s broken on mobile/tablet or on a particular browser :slight_smile: The old 9x9 only one is still as it was on the old link.

Anyway you can end up with mad things like these

or

4 Likes