Random music on player's profile page

You missed the part where they first link to an external site, that they presumably have full control of.

6 Likes

Ahh indeed I did

4 Likes

I just wanna mention that i took off the nyancat, i too started to be annoyed by itā€¦

5 Likes

You say this with such confidenceā€¦ As if the rest of the mod team couldnā€™t just put it back on there for you any time we felt like it :wink:

5 Likes

A) Autoplay is a bad idea, there are plenty situations where I check OGS in public (not work) and I donā€™t want noises to be heard. Personally, I have them disabled by default. Headphones is not a solution because of several safety or comfort factors. If I wait at the bus stop in the evening, I donā€™t wear headphones. If I cook and need to check for frying sounds while doing other things (eg checking OGS) I donā€™t wear headphones. Therefore, I do expect a sound disabling feature in a modern website.
B) If profiles contain a personalized picture and a personalised tagline, I immediately assume the feature is allowed some degree of personal approach. I canā€™t claim Iā€™m surprised if I see personalisation on a personalizeable feature! That said, since we need to check playersā€™ personal stats, I suggest a window specifically about them. E.g. ā€œclick here for opponent statsā€ without going to their profile. I personally donā€™t like bells and whistles in profiles and Iā€™d like not to see them when I simply need to check stats.
C) My expectation is the stones to be black and white on traditional wood textures and I consider variations in goban colours a bug, please remove all the modern aspects because they offend my cultural radar. Only the OGS ā€œboard directorsā€ may reply to me, ā€œlesserā€ users will be ignored, especially the non-paying ones. (Feel insulted? I would.)
D) If we really want the OGS site to be impersonal and look like a government tax-office Q&A website, I suggest we also remove 85% of the forum threads.
E) Ex-Facebook now Meta uses a lot of policies and tactics that I donā€™t care much to see on OGS. Iā€™d be disheartened to learn that OGS is using meta as their business compass.
F) Have more fun, less fuss! :wink:

10 Likes

Popups are never the solution. Especially since I never keep cookies. :smiley:
If someone really doesnā€™t want audio to play, heā€™s gonna mute the device heā€™s using, not look for some obscure setting on the website.

I wonder why people are so dead-set on inverting the learning experience.

Real world: ā€œOh shit, I didnā€™t know it worked this way. Iā€™ll have to be more careful next time!ā€
??? world: ā€œOh shit, I didnā€™t know it worked this way. Someoneā€™s gonna have to do something about this so I donā€™t get caught off guard next time!ā€

4 Likes

Well to chip in, I could have audio on for plenty of reasons, such as because Iā€™m listening to music.

But most importantly I may have it on because unexpected audio on a webpage is extremely rare, so it never would occur to me that I should mute my laptop. It used to happen years ago, but nowadays itā€™s kind of an implicit standard that people do not want that to happen, so it disappeared.

Now ok, itā€™s just a tiny handful of profiles anyway so I personally donā€™t care much, but I can understand people being surprised and annoyed with OGS breaching this untold rule.

2 Likes

The difference is, IRL my coffee cup exists once on my desk, online thereā€™s at least a dozen of them, some filled with vodka.

3 Likes

I donā€™t like it either, but YouTube is one of the most popular sites in the world and has automatic audio playing on most profile pages.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a video/ audio site tho.

I hate it and found an extention for it, but itā€™s something somewhat expected.

5 Likes

Well, here weā€™re on a gaming site, for which audio (even music!) is normal, and OGS games do indeed all have audio playing by default.

3 Likes

SAcrilEge!!!1111!!!

2 Likes

A gaming :couple_with_heart_woman_man::kiss: art of love site (or a sport site for another classification )

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how some in this thread can be free of all those annoying video advertising which fill every gap in all the sites I visit. Sometimes they are even hovering above the site.
Itā€™s literally impossible for me to do some net surfing without being assaulted by those ad.

Am I the only one?

Unexpected audio for me is absolutely impossible since at this point I expect to have annoying automatic audio in every public site.

Iā€™m talking about news, weather, cooking recipes, hobbies and children related contents.
Video ads are everywhere and I spend a lot of time trying to click those nasty incredibly small X to close them.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s really not my case at least.

Your point seems to be mostly ads rather than actual features - perhaps itā€™s a matter of which adblocker you use ?

3 Likes

Ad blocker.

2 Likes

I use ā€œAd Block Plus for Samsungā€ and it doesnā€™t seem to do much.
On my PC a similar tool is able to block even ads inside YouTube. On my phone it doesnā€™t work well.
Any suggestions?

1 Like

Oh phoneā€¦ I surf very specific things on my phone, for that very reason. There are some browsers that are supposed to block things like that, but Iā€™m a lazy Google customer and Iā€™m not willing to give up my lazy ways.

I havenā€™t found anything helpful, open to suggestions. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Brave browser.

1 Like
  1. Donā€™t use a ā€œmobile browserā€ and expect anything good to come from it - they are all garbage (after Mozilla castrated its mobile FireFox version, anyway)
  2. Use FireFox on a PC, go to top right burger menu > Settings > Extensions & Themes (bottom left of your screen)
  3. Search for and add the following extension: ā€œuBlock Originā€ (blacklist-based content blocker). If you want to fine-tune your blocking, also install ā€œuMatrixā€ (whitelist-based content blocker).

Nota bene: uBlock Origin will work perfectly out-of-the-box, but a virgin uMatrix will break most of the websites youā€™re using. Most of the time, you need to allow every single (necessary) source by hand until everything works to your satisfaction. Once youā€™ve done that, you can save your settings for that particular site by clicking the lock symbol. Itā€™s pretty intuitive. If itā€™s red in the matrix, itā€™s actively blocked; if itā€™s pink, itā€™s blocked by default; if itā€™s light green, itā€™s allowed by default, if itā€™s dark green, itā€™s actively allowed.

Enjoy ad- and malicious-content-free Internet (including Youtube and, most of the time, Twitch).

I hate a lot about what YT has become in the past few years, so I just always modded it. This is what it looks like right now: mytube ā€” ImgBB

That said, FireFox also by default blocks autoplay audio, which would have solved OPs annoyance before he even knew it was there.

4 Likes