Rankings explanation?

Since the goal of the game is to have more points, but not “have as much points as possible”, one can decide to go for a saver move instead of a risky move with higher potential.

Also distinguishing by points also needs to distinguish between points and resignation.
If resignation is worth
a) many points in terms of rating, all games will end with resignation, basically rendering the score dependent rating adjustment useless.
b) resignation equals a huge loss: why should anyone resign? This just forces players to play to the very end.
In both cases taking score into account has negative effects on the player experience.

9 Likes

Yeah, you are right, very good points, I didn’t think it through! Thanks!

4 Likes

Watch this short video from ex-pro player. It also explain about the different between 9Dan and 9P

3 Likes

I had a look at your game results and your current rating does not make any sense whatsoever. That the server is showing you as 11 kyu is a “weakness” of the rating system used by the server (very mildly speaking…). I would even call it a bug.

You have to manage to play rated games against players of your level. You could try to challenge 25 kyu players. If you lose against a weaker player, your rating should adjust (if there are no other bugs hiding in the rating system…).

A 4 kyu resigned to him on his first game. There’s almost no chance of the ranking system being able to handle that with such a small number of games played.

2 Likes

Whilst I appreciate all the responses my initial question has been more than answered many thanks for that.

For the bug relating to the ratings I made a separate topic:

https://forums.online-go.com/t/issue-with-my-rankings/34161/4

I see! Looked like only losses and annulled games to me at first.

Also interesting that his rating did even rise at the end.

1 Like

It worries me that my rankings are severely broke here?

1 Like

It’s mainly a function of a small number of games played. Go is utterly unforgiving and as you play more games you’ll settle on a proper rating.

1 Like

Ah, that’s new. Those early matches were not annulled yesterday.

1 Like

There seems to be something else that is odd about @JamieCropley’s rating history, even though this might likely be a separate issue:

Ten losses and negative one wins equals nine total games?

3 Likes

Yeah, 10 - 1 = 9, I am very new to baduk so the 10 losses is exptect, most likely the win was due to them resigning or something and it counted not really as a win but still fell in the same category?

How can I move up my ranking?

Welcome peacelovejoy in the forum.
To move up your ranking you will have to win ranked games.
Have fun!

How do I know a game is ranked?

I made few screenshots to explain.

You can always see if game request is ranked by looking at this column.

If you found yourself in the game and forgot whether the game you accepted is ranked or not you can go to Game information at taskbar on the right.

2 Likes

Automatched games are ranked. Customs it depends, you can check it before accepting.

When you create your proper offer you can select what you want but don’t change the komi and use classic sizes(9,13,19) or the game will be unranked

1 Like

I am a new player and playing 13x13. Are there any 13 X 13 games ranked?

1 Like

Yes sure.

1 Like

How about computer? I always play with computer.