Rengo status

I’m kind of astonished you can still get on both teams.

Can anyone show me how?

3 Likes

who?

Edit: I’m sorry about the sound, I forgot to take it out :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

TBH I was dithering about whether I’d try to make “private” work for rengo.

I’ve put in a fix to deactivate “private” when “rengo” is selected, in the mean time.

3 Likes

Seems like it just takes two join requests… I think the server needs to say NO YOU CAN’T DO THAT :imp:

def update_rengo_teams(self, request):

for id in request.get("unassign", []):
            self.rengo_black_team.remove(id)
            self.rengo_white_team.remove(id)
            self.rengo_nominees.add(id)

for id in request.get("assign_black", []):
            self.rengo_black_team.add(id)
            self.rengo_white_team.remove(id)
            self.rengo_nominees.remove(id)

for id in request.get("assign_white", []):
            self.rengo_black_team.remove(id)
            self.rengo_white_team.add(id)
            self.rengo_nominees.remove(id)

self.updateSeekGraph()

Hah - as soon as you show someone, you see the answer. I’ll fix that.

Nope, it will be interesting to see how it’s done

Oh, the locking is row-level. :woman_facepalming: I still can’t find how to cause it myself, but at least I can see how it might.

2 Likes

I can do it on beta, but not consistently.

It’s easier after I refresh the page also. So maybe its latency thing? If the lists are slow to load or update or something strange.

Edit: Basically I think it’s either that the join fails to load the team box (where the automatch would be) and then lets you click join again, or instead it’s something like there’s a gap between the joining… modal type thing going away and loading that teams box.

There is one way that’s much easier to reproduce though.

If you create your own challenge, like correspondence one, then you can join someone else’s twice, and then remove your own.

It seems like that will reliably join both teams in the other person challenge.

Maybe that will help you narrow it down?

3 Likes

Perfect. I can now see that if you can send Join twice from the client then you definitely end up on two teams, which is a hole that can readily be plugged. :partying_face:

(It’s amazing how you can stare at something and not see the possibilities until someone tells you it happens :woman_facepalming: )

4 Likes

Seconding this, specifically in the context of trying to replay the last few moves as I consider my own. I was doing a lot of mental gymnastics trying to associate players to their moves–essentially you have to start at the beginning or end to track it. Consider that you see the latest move (ie stone with circle), but the name in the player card of that color is not the one who made it! So you have to flip back to white’s move, hold in memory the black player name, then reveal their move… feels odd.

I don’t have a better suggestion, I recognize also it’s important also to see that you’re the player up. Maybe increment the player card after the opponents subsequent move–it’s a bit counterintuitive at first, but then looking at the board you always see the current player up, and who played the previous (marked) move

1 Like

The Rengo feature is really useful. Found what I believe is a bug, not in Rengo itself, but a strange interaction with OGS groups. The addition of the list of games among players in a group a while back was very useful. Rengo games do appear in this list on the group page, as expected, but it doesn’t seem to notice that the game is over. Take a look at the Massachusetts Go Association group page (group #45). There are three finished Rengo games that are appearing in the box under the initial text and above the chat window.

2 Likes

I’ve a funny but mostly unimportant one: when you check the “rengo only” in the filter the mini gobans naturally move up and down to allow/fill the space where the filter options go or hide from.

However just with the rengo ones the lines don’t necessarily move with the boards :slight_smile:

Many other things to fix first I imagine :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

This will either be the easiest or the hardest thing to fix :rofl:

7 Likes

@shinuito has proved to be the css expert, so I’m looking forwards to the fix :smiley: :wink:

3 Likes

Expected? That’s some kind of miracle :smiley: If I hazard a guess, the games will only appear if the people currently carded as “black” and “white” to play are in the group :wink:

That’s just bizarre!

4 Likes

Switching the columns, so always keeping the player to play at the first place on left would give the most intuitive layout. (As suggested first by @GreenAsJade). it seems to be difficult to program as he said too.

I think the programming is tractable.

But - it seems like such a substantial change to OGS layout that it would be hard to get it approved by the community or anoek.

Would it apply to 1v1? If not, why the inconsistency? If so, how to have a zillion people not up in arms at change?

Would it look insane swapping longer lists of rengo players every turn…

That sort of thing.

3 Likes

Let’s make it clear first, i don’t consider changing the 1vs1 layout.
I dunno if switching alternatively the places of black and white is a major flaw from the general design and looking. It’s just the most intuitive (and unique) way i find to tell who’s turn anf the next ones. too.

For example we could numerate and keep each player place and color in the layout which would even more respect the original design but that would be not so pretty and less convenient.

About a zillion, 1vs1 fits quite well with the reality, each player sitting at his place forever.
In a rengo we already permute places (but not colors) at each turn.

1 Like

Sounds like a thread and a poll etc…

(I’m sure you know this, but: be prepared for at least 51% opposition to any change :wink: )

2 Likes