Rengo status

Alright, it’s not really intuitive but thanks for the explanation!

1 Like

I agree it’s not at all intuitive, in fact it is the sort of thing that can make your head spin. :crazy_face:

I had a big gulp before even taking on “let’s update the cards as we step backwards” :slight_smile:

When you are stepping backwards, it seems obvious that what you want is “who played here?”

The trick is that going backwards is not the normal event. The normal event is going forwards. When someone plays, what you need to know for showing the cards is “Who plays next?”

IE The cards show “Who plays next” not “Who played”.

Therefore that is the information that is received and stored: the information we have at each move is “who plays next”, and this is what the cards know how to display.

It’s just very hard to keep that in mind when thinking about clicking the back arrow :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The already-much-dissed Auto Start feature is now available, FWIW.

It’s a casual-mode only thing. Hopefully not too many people are made sad by it :wink:

Auto-handicap is also available (strict and casual).

7 Likes

wow I had no idea that was coming soon, dope!

3 Likes

Moderator stealth mode :wink: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Now I need to update that page!

@GreenAsJade so is it just using the mean of the precise ranks (not ratings)? Does automatic color work?

1 Like

It is the mean of rank, which is a float obtained from rating, which is also a float.

( rank: float = log(rating: float / A) * C )

It has various bounds on it (30k-9d, except for pros who are higher), but for simplicity I didn’t attempt to include the code from the “normal” implementation, which also takes into account large rating deviation.

That question terrifies me - I don’t even know what that is, in the context of auto-handicap :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Auto handicap didn’t work here 8 players, auto handicap

Could it be because the stronger team plays with black, or is it supposed to work only in 2vs2 games?

I think maybe that’s what the auto colour problem is then eh? It’s broken if the stronger team is black, by the look of it.

But then, why would you do that? :thinking:

(Edit: except because that’s what you like to do, find how to break things :smiley: )

What is the result that you expect if you do that?

2 Likes

I don’t know, actually, I don’t think you can give a handicap to the white team. Maybe auto color (weaker team takes black) could be a solution.

1 Like

This has been a long standing issue with auto-handicap… colour is randomly assigned first, and then handicap is calulated, rather than forcing the weaker player to be black. IIRC the same thing happened in the Firstish Moderators Round Robin… half the games had correct handicap and the other half were “even” games because the weaker player got black.
Likely this was fixed last year, as mentioned below. Thanks Feijoa.

Very good question haha, maybe ask anoek or matburt :sweat_smile:

1 Like

In this case the question is to the organiser of the rengo, though, because they are in control of which players are in which team…

Maybe there were problems before, but I think automatic handicap has been working fine in tournaments since at least early 2021.

1 Like

Now that you mention it, I don’t think we had the same problem in the second mod tournament… so you may be right :thinking:

1 Like

In that example I had set “auto start” to 8 players, I did not move them in any way.
Maybe with autostart the order of entry is not always the most correct, nor what the organider wanted. Maybe there should be a "auto assign teams " option that tries to make even teams, if possible, and gives black (and eventual handicaps) to the weaker team

2 Likes

That’s what we called auto balance before

3 Likes

Yes, ideally there should be an auto-balance feature which:

• Allocates the players in the most appropriate way (i.e. minimizing the average rank difference)
  • Make sure the weaker team is black
  • Automatically sets the handicap accordingly.
1 Like

Right - you would like these two to work together :smiley:

:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If you have the “Hide ranks and ratings” setting on, you gotta expect that the system will balance the teams automatically, as you dont see how strong are the participants. Its nice that you can move players manually into teams, but when you don’t know their ranks it doesnt make much sense to do so.

There should be some sort of system for balancing the teams automatically if the game creator doesnt do that themself.

2 Likes

There’s been enough resignations and timeouts in carefully curated, balanced team formations, that I just enjoy the ride now. :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes