Rengo status

He he casual rengo is so unique online on OGS

1 Like

maybe casual correspondence mass rengo shouldn’t be possible to pause?

no one except someone able to unpause it, so next player may never timeout, and so game never continues…

1 Like

I think it was not paused manually but at least one of the other 98 players is in vacation mode

1 Like

doesn’t matter, there should be unpause button that anyone able to press

2 Likes

Could mods unpause it/force it to resume?

How does vacation work exactly? It pauses the clock of the player on vacation, but does it also pause all 99 other clocks?

I assume it pauses the game, so yes.

Ngl I hate vacation timer

What is vacation if not time to play more Go??

4 Likes

Vacation will end at some point, I don’t really mind it in the most παρεΐστικο setting to play Go, but pause that nobody else can unpause, yeah I don’t like that.

is it possible to make vacation not apply for rengo? seems like the kind of thing that is either extremely easy to implement or basically impossible.

3 Likes

system[9d+]: ‘CCS-3T15’ left: Resignation

it could be useful to have a link to the profile instead of just a text for the player who left (for example to remember his level).

1 Like

Yeah - that’s one of those “I looked into doing that, and for ‘technical reasons’ it is harder than you think”, which is why it came out that way.

Happy to support anyone who wants to give it a shot.

5 Likes

Strange, in-challenge chat is gone again. Tried to shift+f5 hard refresh browser to no avail.

So … briefly mentioned earlier, it turns out that we can’t really have the same chat in two places at once.

This being the case, I removed the chat from Live challenge management “down below” because it is in the top left live game waiting pane.

It has become evident it would be better if it were down in the challenges list, like the correspondence one, if it has to be one place only.

While I am at it, I am considering making it so that live rengo game don’t block new challenge creation.

My understanding is that the top left “challenge creation” pane is blocked with a “waiting for opponent” to discourage folk having multiple live challenges open and getting into more than one at once, with the resulting “wait, which game are you playing” etc.

However, because live rengo games take some time to get accepted and you control the time at which they start, it seems like we wouldn’t have to do this for live rengo match making.

That would allow you to make a normal live game challenge while waiting for a rengo one to fill.

I’m in two minds about this, because then we likely will have people complaining that they joined and it’s not starting and the creator is off doing something else. :woman_facepalming:

What do you all think?

2 Likes

I am afraid that people would create several live challenges by accident and some of them will never start.

1 Like

So, let’s say I accept rengo challenge.

I then accept normal live challenge. Do I automatically drop the rengo?

If not, what if it starts without me? Probably I won’t have time to go withdraw if normal live has tight time settings, and also it’s highly probable I’ll timeout somewhere.

if you will make rengo casual challenge that automatically starts at chosen time, then for this new mode it will be necessary to allow for creator to play other games, because time may be set for few hours later. People will know what to expect that way. Even if creator don’t return in time, people will be able to play.

No. Yesterday I joined a live rengo. When it started, one of the player was finishing another live game so was too busy to play in the rengo. We paused the game and waited several minutes.

1 Like

by the way, you already can implement it for autostart casual live rengo that starts when N people joined

You can start two live normal games at once now anyhow if you try hard, FWIW.

So it’s a matter of how easy we make it for rengo - a compromise between easy to get a game going, and easy to get multiple live at once - and then how likely it is to end up being a nuisance.

1 Like