Rengo status

What’s up with this game again

2 Likes

I saw it was paused… then I unpaused it

Does pause work on these?

1 Like

Also in this game

Skrybbleyboop timed out as I was watching, but just moved to the end of the queue without appearing to timeout.

1 Like

Darn - great that you caught it in action though. Somehow we need to work out how to reproduce this.

I’ll also have another careful look over what’s going on to see if I can spot how.

(Timeout does work sometimes, right??)

1 Like

Followup question: when that happened, I see that there was nothing written in chat. Did the next person on the same team become active with a fresh clock (which is what should happen when the person timed out properly) … or anything different to that?

That’s how I noticed. I saw the clock running down from 1 minute or so when I was posting about the pause above and went back expecting to see the usual 9Dan Mod bot sentence to timeout death, but just saw the next player.

Next player with fresh 8 hours.

(I wanted to see in action how it worked since I asked about it recently)

1 Like

Note: I see a different player, bacon123, timed out around that time.
Could it be that glitch that keeps the previous player card when switching games because of spotty connection and it kept the B player from the paused game? I switched between the two on my phone to check and post.

Can it be checked if Skrybbleyboop played and moved to the end of line or if they run their clock?

1 Like

Good thinking. It seems like a very plausible explanation.

It seems like we need a more direct/clear way of telling who played than “who’s card shows up”. That information is definitely kept, so I’ll have to find a way to expose it where we can easily see…

2 Likes

Now: in rengo games when you click on a node in the analysis tree it pops up the player card of the person who played that move.

NOTE: I know that this is actually moderately irritating when you just wanted to click on the node to go to that move. Please try it out and let me know what would be a better way of doing it: this is just “the first go at it, to get the basics working”. (And remember that suggestions for how it could be improved have to work on phones)

7 Likes

A. Lovely. Works for me fine.
B. Phone crowd appreciates you.

1 Like

Not sure what the official status about it is, haven’t follwed this thread very closely, but I suspect auto-balancing isn’t working at all, see: 冰劍血雨 vs. Андрей Голомыздо

Pretty sure this was a game with autostart at 4 players, so I assume the team splitting can’t have happened manually. (?)

Autostart and autobalance don’t work together at the moment. With autostart the order in which players join counts.
To assign them manually, you can set the players to “unassigned” before reaching the autostart number, but at this point autostart makes no sense (because it doesn’t work).

You could try auto handicap to balance teams, but it works only if the weakest team gets black

3 Likes

Ah, thanks for letting me know. I probably could have found out myself by reading this thread …

1 Like

… or maybe by reading the documentation? (I’m not totally sure if this point is clear in there, but if it’s not you could always update it to be so :slight_smile: )

That would not really have helped me, because from reading parts of the discussion on this thread I had the (perceived as) sure knowledge that auto-balancing was always attempted per default. It not being mentioned in the documentation would not have made me doubt that. :grinning: Another case of some knowledge (plus unbased assumptions) being worse than no knowledge.

I think the documentation about auto-balancing is fine. Impossible to list all the things that don’t happen, I’d say.

1 Like

It was not in the documentation at the time of upload to github. This explains why so few organizers have enabled auto-start, which I was wondering about. It poses a difficult choice for players: join a game of unknown size, or a game that will probably be unbalanced.

1 Like

… another dimension of this is “join a game that will be balanced by the organiser, or join one that the algorithm attempts to balance”.

Prior to “auto-balance” and “auto-start” each being added, the assumption was that the organiser takes care of the team allocations before pressing “Start”.

This assumption was good right up until the definition of Rengo changed from “4 players” to “hordes” :wink:

5 Likes

In this game

For some reason it’s my turn but the clock shows on the right in my game list. In all other games opponent clock is on the right

1 Like

I just noticed it doesn’t work in rengo games with analysis off.

I understand why it doesn’t, but at some point it would be useful to find a workaround.

Was this a thing that anyone else encountered? I almost timed out seeing the wrong clock.