Rengo status

I just noticed that one doesnt need to even close the tab, ive had this game - which is in stone removal - open since yesterday, and the green check mark still turns into red X every few hours. Im not sure if its just a visual glitch or whether its actually preventing that game from finishing.

Yes, it’s a recent bug. There is some discussion of it above. Sofiam thinks the acceptance is recorded, but that the display resets when someone leaves and comes back. It’s very annoying and confusing. Presumably the scoring clock will time out in due order.

2 Likes

Ooo - in saying “Yes, it’s a recent bug” can you elaborate?

Does this mean that there is concrete evidence that this behaviour got “bad” recently … by which I mean “in the last few months when I haven’t touched anything” :slight_smile:

Or does it mean “we’re not at all sure if it was always this way, it was reported recently for the first time”?

Thanks!

I am :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know what you mean by “concrete evidence,” since you didn’t define it. However, I will give you some facts, and you can make of them what you wish.

The phenomenon did not occur in correspondence rengo games in which I played and that went to scoring on June 9, June 25, and August 2. It did occur in correspondence rengo games that I played and that went to scoring on August 22, September 5, and a game currently in scoring. Those are all the scored rengo games I played in that period; in other words, no data are omitted. Sofiam and bengito talked about the phenomenon in this thread 26 days ago, or August 10 if I am counting right. So it appears that the phenomenon began sometime between August 2 and August 10. I obviously can’t speak of the experience of any other people.

You’re welcome!

https://beta.online-go.com/game/11674 this is the oldest game I am aware of

In Random Match very likely yes. And in the other ones we can’t exclude that they just didn’t notice that the score didn’t seem accepted I think.

I don’t know what you meant by “define”, since you didn’t define it :wink:

To me the phrase “concrete evidence” is self evident :woman_shrugging:

It would have seemed strange to say “concrete evidence such as the example of games where this did not happen followed by games when it did happen indicating that it is a recent bug introduced”.

I offer this explanation of why I did not define it, because you went to the trouble of calling that out…

1 Like

March 10. Hmm, the mystery deepens. That means it has not struck consistently, although all three of my games since August 22 did suffer the bug.

And if GreenAsJade was a participant in that game you cite, as seems to be the case, I wonder why he is playing coy in his questioning of me.

FFS man I’m not “questioning you”, I’m just trying to ascertain the details.

I certainly don’t recall a rengo game that I played on March 10, that is for-ever-ago, and I likely was focussed on more significant bugs at that time.

3 Likes

Don’t be silly, people argue about what constitutes evidence all the time. There is nothing self-evident about it. And now I find that you seem to have been in the game that Sofiam cites, which means you were being coy with me for reasons unknown.

You’re a funny fellow. You draw the most bizarre conclusions about the actions and motivations of other people - it can be frustrating, but we have to step back and just blink and reflect how different we all are.

I literally have no idea why you took the trouble to say this:

Why didn’t you just leave off that observation of what I did or did not define?

Were you concerned that if you offered something as evidence I might reject it as being “not concrete”, so you needed a caveat?

And then, out of the blue as far as I can see, you indicated that you found me “playing coy in my questioning of you”

All I really wanted to know was whether there was something we can point at that tells us that this bug has been there all the time (ever since I was last working on rengo at least) or whether something new caused it.

I got distracted by the observation that I didn’t define something that I couldn’t see any need to define…

2 Likes

I am sorry that we are talking about things that might not be useful, however I must correct myself.

Here I was referring more to the fact that it is not a recent thing but I only quoted the first part. I don’t know if it was there before 10 March.
And I think it is completely understandable if @GreenAsJade put it on the back burner at the time and then forgot about it.
I think it might happen in every casual rengo game, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Your first line is weirdly abrupt and adversarial in tone.

“Concrete evidence” rather than just “evidence” is, on the one hand defensive, and on the other, again has an adversarial tone, like a prosecutor or policeman, Do you ever hold ordinary conversations, like “I am looking into this and was wondering if you have any information about when it may have started”?

Contentiously defensive again. Who said anything about you touching anything?

And all the time, you knew the phenomenon was present in March, if Sofiam is correct.

My first impulse was not to answer at all due to your tone, and now I regret that I did answer. You have wasted my time disgracefully.

There is nothing to understand, as no one, least of all me, had said anything about GAJ.

Then it’s me who doesn’t understand :sweat_smile: Sorry.
I was just saying that you assume he knew (very likely, it was also mentioned here) but he might have forgotten it. And I think there’s nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

I guess this is where things started off down the wrong path, and were on rails for upset from there.

There was absolutely no abruptness or challenge intended.

A paraphrase would be:

“Golly gosh, there’s a thing! Wow! You mentioned that it’s a recent bug … I need to understand what you meant by that, so that I can come to grips with whether it was introduced recently, or in fact might have been there all along. Can you tell me more about this?”

Again, not meant that way. I put the word “concrete” in to differentiate from the evidence you’d already offered, which was: your observation.

A paraphrase would be:

“In reporting this, do you happen to have any more specifics that you could tell me, to help me understand whether this just started happening, or was there all along”.

I know that I’m as guilty as the next person of assuming bad intent wrongly from my fellow forumites. But seriously: I have no ill will, I’m here to help make things good, please read my brief utterances as lazy typing but well intended, rather than coy and adversarial. If you do that, you will be closer to the truth.

6 Likes

If I may chime in as a neutral observer.

GreenAsJade is not a policeman, and they’re not in the defensive. Rather, they are a software programmer, who are trying to understand the extent and origin of a bug in the software so that it becomes easier for them to fix it.

There is nothing adversarial about it. There is nothing defensive or accusatory or coy about it. Maybe there is something abrupt indeed, if “abrupt” means “only interested in the specific and the factual”. And perhaps this abruptness sounded accusatory to you, in part because of the absence of facial expression and tone to soften the question.

If you are going to compare GreenAsJade to a policeman questioning you: the only suspect in this investigation is the bug, not you. No one is suspecting you of being an accomplice of the bug. Quite the contrary, you have been a valuable eyewitness in this case and we thank you for your service. The police are merely trying to ascertain the bug’s location so that they can arrest it.

7 Likes

to get back to this one, can someone with a hammer check out if Stoeffu ever accepted the score? I did notice they were online yesterday and played some games, so one might assume they would have accepted the score at some point.

The score was accepted many times by the white team but never by the black team, as expected :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh seems like i timed out too despite having accepted the score?

Yeah the scoring phase on corr rengos def need some work >____>

1 Like