Rengo status

Rather than doing that, which I felt was uncomfortably cumbersome, I indented the Rengo header, to try to say “this is a sub-category of Short/Correspondence”

Any thoughts for or against this change?

1 Like

On one hand, it’s good to be dedicated enough when I ask for a feature to go create a test account in beta and try it.

On the other hand, it always seems like a hassle to me, so I’m going to be rude and ask for a screenshot :stuck_out_tongue:.

It really isn’t. You click on the link, click “sign in”, click “register”, enter a username and password, and you’re done.

I did that to get this screenshot…

This is what it looks like “normally” (when there isn’t a Live Rengo):

If you have an account there you can mess around with this sort of thing :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I guess the two rengo will get their discreptive “live” and “correspondence” so people aren’t confused.

I think it’s manageable, live rengo is usually a very short list.

Hmmm - I wasn’t planning to…

Maybe I should indent further :smiley:

1 Like

(For some people, that’s a hassle :stuck_out_tongue: :woman_shrugging:. I avoid having a gazillion one-use accounts as much as I can. I guess it’s just a difference of what we are used to, though. I’m just mentioning this to offer a different perspective of how people might react to stuff online, not to argue or anything. Even for phone apps that I dowload certain they are exactly what I need, I just uninstall if they ask me to create an account, unless it makes sense for their function - and only if their competitors didn’t find a way to offer the same thing without an account).

3 Likes

Right.

So … do we go with this layout update? :laughing:

1 Like

It’s confusing. People might think correspondence go is rengo, since it follows the rengo block.

Personally I would change the headers to

Live Games

Live Rengo

Correspondence Games

Correspondence Rengo

The indent isn’t really jumping out to me for whatever reason (and seems like not just me).

I prefer Live Games as a header instead of Short Games, and think it is clear enough that this both Live and Blitz time controls.

But even as it is, I would take this implementation, it achieves the objective of showcasing when Live Rengo is available.

5 Likes

I agree with @Gia it looks confusing, I’m not sure indentation is the way to go.

In my view either you clarify “Live Rengo” / “Correspondence Rengo” (not sure why you thought it was cumbersome?) or, if you prefer, you would need to use two category levels, like:

1. Live games
  • Regular
  • Rengo
  1. Correspondence games
  • Regular
  • Rengo
2 Likes

Also agreed with that, “Live” is more correct than “Short”.

1 Like

I presume the games are called short because short encompassed live + blitz which are usually distinguished elsewhere?

No, currently “Short” encompasses “Blitz” and “Normal”, while “Long” = “Correspondence”. “Live” is not used.

3 Likes

I think that is exactly the idea, but that it it is unneccesary. Short seems cumbersome and presented with just two categories, the natural ones to me seem like Live and Correspondence rather than Short and Long (which could also plausibly be misinterpreted as small boards and big boards).

Note that a live game can have a long time setting (and a correspondance a short one)

Live vs correspondance is surely the right way to go (with subcategories regular/rengo)

We can’t say “LIVE” because the Short Games includes Live and Blitz (as was just said :slight_smile: )

(This is why it uses the awkward word “Short”)

Not sure I agree. Automatch on top of the page has three time settings: blitz, normal and correspondence.

« Live » is not used as a time setting, so it sounds appropriate to refer to both normal and blitz, as opposed to correspondence (clearer than « short games » in any case).

But wow… I never noticed this discrepancy between the challenge modal and the Play page!

Oh thanks, I guess that’s where the misunderstanding was coming from.

But, well, since the current situation is inconsistent, I stand by my preference for “Live” to be a category referring to both Normal and Blitz. :slight_smile:

3 Likes