Rengo status

I actually do like this suggestion.

@anoek does it have legs?

4 Likes

:+1:

7 Likes

And lo the great prophet did utter the words of summoning, and the high god of OGS did descend upon him and deem his cause worthy!

Let all ye who read thus rejoice!

4 Likes

why I don’t have list of dropped games in my profile?

I think they list the games that you dropped out of that are still in progres.

Or that’s my understanding of the intent of that.

that one is still in progress
(and dropped by me)

Ah, I took a closer look: I’m not sure about the rationale, but apparently if you resign (as opposed to timing out) it doesn’t count as “dropped”.

I resigned because there is no way my team wins
But I still wish to be notified when game actually ends.

1 Like

I’m currently playing a casual rengo game in which the opponent team only has one player left.

In this case, would it be possible/easy to reactivate the conditional moves for them?

I.e., make conditional moves work like this in casual rengo:

• More than one player in your team: no conditional moves possible;
  • You’re the only player in your team: you can plan conditional moves.

This would be especially useful because casual rengo tends to have harsh time settings (such as 12h per move), so it’s pretty hard for a single player to avoid timing out. Having conditional moves would relieve some pressure from the lone player.

8 Likes

This casual rengo game started at 11:28 AM, July 7. The last time I looked before this evening, Black’s clock was down to 42 hours. However, when the weekend pause kicked in, it apparently reset Black’s clock to 2 days, where it is now paused. No move and no pass has occurred. What is going on? Is this a bug?

Simple time has always had the bug where weekend pause resets the timer. That’s why simple games with time per move greater than 5 days are eternal.

1 Like

Didn’t know that. Thanks.

In view of the foregoing bug, the Rengo part of the Play tab very badly needs a column indicating whether or not the Weekend Pause will be turned on. The page has plenty of room to add that column.

I’m not entirely sure how this will pan out in rengo, since each player has their own clock… maybe it all sorts out when the next player is up?

Curiously, I had also thought that we fixed the simple time bug, at least once or twice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Is it definitely still a thing?

I’d definitely prefer a better solution than that :slight_smile:

If rengo “sorts it out for itself” that’d decrease the urgency - can you let us know?

Yes, it is still a bug, as described above. It does not sort itself out. When the weekend pause ended, Black’s clock (for the same player) began counting down from 2 days, instead of from 42 hours. Black made a move, and then it was my move, with the clock counting down normally. Now it is black’s move again, and the clock is counting down normally.

Adding a weekend pause column would be good information for both rengo and non-rengo correspondence games, but since rengo uses simple time much more often, it is especially vital for it.

1 Like

So casual rengo has long weekends :slight_smile:

I feel a bit hesitant about messing with that table at the moment - if that idea were endorsed in its own thread and folk’s ideas about it flushed out then it’d be a goer.

1 Like

Wait does this mean Simple: 6 days; pause on weekends could go on indefinitely without any moves? :joy:

I’m not sure what you are referring to. The game I referenced is 2 days per move. As BHydden pointed out, a game with Simple time longer than 5 days would effectively have no time limit. Whether it could actually go on forever is a separate question. Six years ago, or so, games without a time limit self-destructed if no move was played after 6 or 7 weeks (the exact interval was unclear to me since it caught us by surprise). I witnessed this on two occasions, once in my own game (no, I didn’t cause the delay).

1 Like

Oops, missed Bhydden’s comment. That’s exactly what I was asking.

BUG:

this is not rengo

1 Like