Rengo Tournament

I was thinking it might be fun to try and organize a Rengo tournament here on OGS. I haven’t quite nailed down the logistics yet, but basically we could recruit a few players and draw for pairings.

If you guys think it sounds like a fun idea, I’ll give it a go. :slight_smile:
I know next to nothing about the different tournament types though, so I’ll have to do a bit of reading unless someone wants to help organize this.

9 Likes

Rengo is pairs, right? I’m obviously limited to my limitations, but maybe it would be fun to have a version of teacher - student pairs (one actual player and one loser in each pair or something).

I’m interested to watch in any case.

Rengo has yet to be implemented fully on OGS, iirc. The best option is to have two people log into the same account on separate computers, but then you have to make sure you know when your turn is at all times. And frankly, that’s much more complex than just using KGS.

4 Likes

I’ve never really used KGS besides downloading the client when I first started playing and thinking it was too outdated. I had no idea they even had rengo support. Interesting.

I was thinking to host the games as unranked matches on one partner’s account and have the other partner post their moves in the chat or something.

5 Likes

I’d love to participate and would be happy to make a dummy account for the team I was a part of so we could both play from it and I don’t have to worry about them changing the password on me since it would be a rengo account anyway.

2 Likes

Maybe strongest with weakest, second strongest with second-weakest, &c.? I would be happy to play with that system, or with random pairs, or with chosen pairs, or with pairs chosen so that teammates are of similar skill.

2 Likes

I’d rather just use OGS and deal with the minor bookkeeping, but I also play Thue-Morse Go (with no script), so maybe I have a higher-than-average tolerance for bookkeeping. :smiley:

2 Likes

Random pairs + random pairings.

Edit: to clarify, randomize pairs each round

3 Likes

Forum Go games seem to be working fine until now, although I’m not familiar with KGS.

2 Likes

Ah, @S_Alexander, always in favor of the chaotic option. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Rengo is easier to deal with than some of the variants which have popped up over the past year since it results in a kifu which could have been a normal 2-player game of go, so it can be played directly on OGS.

As far as bookkeeping, you just have to remember or track (you could use a coin or a button or something) whether you or your partner made your team’s last move, and the other will make your team’s next move.

2 Likes

If I may say so myself, we made this April's fools but I hate pranks, so just fun work. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@RubyMineshaft Are you thinking Live or Correspondence? I would much prefer live, but Correspondence would minimize time-zone trouble.

2 Likes

I’d prefer live as well, but it would probably be difficult to schedule times that fit into all 4 players’ schedules.

3 Likes

If we have to do correspondence, maybe we could compromise by also arranging a live game or two for players able and willing and with similar enough availabilites. It wouldn’t have any effect on the tournament, just piggyback on its publicity. :smiley: And pairs could be different in the live game(s), of course.

1 Like

I’ll join and I’m comfortable with any time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree with pairs strong+weak because pair go is especially interesting for the learning side (and for the fun). I would greatly participate if it doesn’t start too early… Just don’t need to wait me if so. Seems a bit complicated to organize but whatever good luck with that!

2 Likes

Sounds fun, I’d be interested to participate if time allows.

I’d favor this method for live games. Seems like less hassle than account switching, especially if there are several rounds with changing pairs.

1 Like

I agree, but still less hassle is using a shared account.

Not to long ago I made a site for the US e-Go Congress which enabled team relay rengo on OGS. I bet I’d be able to pretty easily make one that enables the much simpler normal rengo.

Would that be something people find useful?

6 Likes