Rengo tournament

In tournaments you can usually only ask for things like “it’s my turn?” (not needed online) or discuss surrender. It should happen in this way: the player whose turn it is asks his partner(s) if they want to resign, they can say only “yes” or “no”. No one can justify their position.

4 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

The a8090 and I decided to be a team. I think we are first team. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’re three people away from 6 teams :partying_face:

I guess everyone agrees it will be more enjoyable if timeouts lose the strict rengo games but there are no disqualifications and stuff, so we can all have fun.

Also, I’ll try to balance the ranks and handicap, but it’s not in the spirit of this tournament to be absolutely exact about it.

2 Likes

Maybe there’s something we forgot to vote for. Will the analysis function be on or off? Can someone make a poll please? I guess I have no rights to do it.
I vote for analysis off. And also I vote that we don’t use any joseki dictionaries. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes
  • Analysis off
  • Analysis on

0 voters

I never do, but isn’t it standard for correspondence games to be able to refer to stuff? Just not using AI?

3 Likes

Analysis is a normal part of correspondence play in both go and chess, going back hundreds of years.

2 Likes

I’m leaving polls and participating open until the end of day here (Greece).

Everything seems more or less decided, other than tournament type which is 50-50.
Please let me know your thoughts on this, it’s fine by me either way.

Since the poll on the tournament type was 50-50, if the number of teams is not too high (like not more than 8) I think you should choose what is easiest to organize, i.e. a simultaneous Round Robin. If the number of teams is larger than 8, then maybe another poll will be necessary.

2 Likes

I understand that something can be considered normal in correspondence games. But it doesn’t mean that we are not allowed to agree on some new “non-standard” rules if we want. So let’s the poll decide…

I agree. Forbidding joseki dictionaries can be considered very unusual. Anyway it was just a proposal. No problem if it’s not supported by the participants of the tournament.

1 Like

Obviously.

I find correspondence without analysis strange. Would we not be allowed to play out variations on a physical board either? Or write down notes on paper?

In my correspondence games without analysis I can at least count the score manually and record it in a Malkovich chat so I remember for my next move, but how will that work with rengo?

5 Likes

This is just my personal opinion but it all sounds as a kind of cheating to me.
If we use joseki dictionaries why don’t we use AI? What’s the difference?

I suggest Fischer timing, not too fast not too slow.

Something like 1 day plus 12 hours up to 2 days.

Is this too short for y’all?

Fast correspondence is my personal preference, but whatever is more accommodating, especially since it will be strict.

It seems we’ll be one person short. One solution is to strong-arm one of your friends, or we’ll roll me (weakest player by far) with discobot and saddle me on a random team.

1 Like

Please, let’s not do this here. It’s been discussed extensively in the forums and it draws strong opinions.

Unless it’s a deal-breaker for someone, and since different opinions will probably end up in at least one team, I suggest we leave analysis on.

5 Likes

ı am in

1 Like

One difference is the amount of assistance it provides. Doesn’t matter how much I consult a Joseki dictionary, I’m still not beating a Dan player.

As long as everyone agrees it’s fair game, I dont see how it could be cheating.

1 Like

Registrations are now closed. You can still choose a team mate, or leave it up to me, which will probably be random. Please provide your rank in the wiki post.

I have no idea what would be a fair choice for my team mate, y’all are pretty high up there. Probably some handicap stones, I welcome help on the subject (please no exhaustive calculations, just some rough guidelines so we can all enjoy the tournament).

5 teams, round robin with 4 games for each team seems best.

My math abandoned me momentarily.
6 teams, still round robin (5 games each) and see how it goes.

2 Likes

There will be 6 teams : could be

3x (dan + mid-sdk)
2x (mid-sdk + mid-sdk)
mid-sdk + ddk

or
2x (dan + mid-sdk)
3x(mid-sdk + mid-sdk)
dan + ddk

I suggest that @Gia chooses the configuration she is most comfortable with. I’d be happy with a teammate of any level.

Concerning handicap, most players initially wanted games without handicap but we could make exceptions if one team is much weaker than others. Concerning the matches (dan+sdk) vs (sdk+sdk), maybe reverse komi could be good enough to give chances to the weakest team while still looking like a normal game. But let’s form the teams first and discuss handicaps afterwards.

2 Likes