Rengo: what to do about dropout / AFK players

Heh i checked all ~80 corr rengos games i’ve finished since november 2021, i found 6 which didnt have any players timing out, and 3 out of those 6 had been invite-only games espesially for ogs regulars, while the other 3 were all played on small boards and thus had very small amount of moves being played >___>

So regardless of what timesettings and team sizes those games have had, not even a single 19x19 game created by open challenge without at least one person timing out :<

2 Likes

One of the most common time settings for casual correspondence rengo, if not the most common, is 2 days per move. Many participants in the casual correspondence rengo seem to be inexperienced players. I suspect they find that the game is too slow or otherwise not to their taste, so they leave. More important, they timeout because they can timeout.

1 Like

What size game though? I would hope 2v2 at least has a chance of completing

I currently still stuck between "what I think is ‘right’ (*) " and what I see lots of people wanting.

At least I’m aware of this tension.

(*) What does “right” even mean, @GreenAsJade??

… I think it means that I’m like Conrad, in that I think timing out on a turn is simply something that must be discouraged in any situation.

That means that I like seeing “Drop out” for situations where a person timeout out.

I also love the idea of having casual rengo games always play out to the pass-and-score (no resignation). It’d increase the chance of every player getting a turn :slight_smile: :smiley:

But I do appreciate that this probably doesn’t appeal to the people who are actually using that feature :smiley: :smiley:

It’s probably the case that until there’s team-resign, then resignation should show up as “left” or similar, not dropped out … that’d match the sentiment I’m reading here.

1 Like

I predict that creating a “left” button will fail to reduce significantly the number of deliberate timeouts in casual correspondence rengo. Those timeouts are simply people who don’t come back, and they are not going to come back to click “left.”

No one with a conscience would deliberately timeout in the first place, and trying to give them a conscience in the form of a “left” button is folly.

I agree with Conrad here, most of the timeouts in rengos and in normal correspondence games are either purely accidental, or players who have forgotten that they had some active games on ogs.

It is simply a normal and unavoidable thing with timed corrs that people forget (or are unable to continue due real life misfortunes) and time out, roughly 20-25% of all normal 1vs1 corr games i have ever started have ended as timeouts. It’s something that corr players just have to learn to live with.

Thats why i feel like the default, at least with with correspondence rengo, should be the casual mode. More people there are in the game, the higher are the chances that someone will time out.

1 Like

The rengo-challenge-22619394 auto-starts when FOUR more join! :star_struck: Anyone hasn’t played rengo games? :saluting_face: Let’s Go! :partying_face:

Among my last 60 ranked 1vs1 correspondence games, only 3% ended as timeouts and 13% were annulled (no moves played or early timeout).

2 Likes

In fact asking your teammate for agreement for resigning is often a case allowed