Research on the Effects of Weiqi/Baduk/Go

This topic can collect links to research articles on the various educative, psychological, and other effects of playing Weiqi/Baduk/Go

5 Likes

Effects of playing Go for education and psychological treatment

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Curriculum Guide for Go In Schools
https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/document?repid=rep1&type=pdf&doi=d455260d332422782625827ef0110436e8118881

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

But what about adverse effects?

1 Like

Sure if you find any research on the topic. Falsification is after all key. I changed the topic to effects.

Well, in my opinion the key to proper research studies is being unbiased towards “desired” results.

The only thing I’ve noticed is an inexplicable desire to occupy a corner table when I enter an empty restaurant. I know I can sit anywhere I want, but something in my head keeps saying “it is more efficient that way”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, what actual adverse effects could a tabletop game like Go have?
Like every activity it might be addictive for some people, but that is rarely the case of the activity itself being particularly/objectively addicting (unlike gambling for loot boxes, for example).

For example, here is an article for chess:

It’s main premise is that:

Chess is beneficial when practiced in moderation enhancing memorization skills, letting people become disciplined, and even giving a purpose in life.

It can be harmful however once a player becomes obsessed knowing to waste time, promote unhealthy competition, and as a source of stress.

And then he wonders why people do not take that argument seriously.
Even collecting pins can have those “adverse effects” if you become obsessed (hat’s of to Pratchett’s “Going Postal”). If we are not talking about consuming substances, it is the obsession itself that is the problem in such cases, not the object of the obsession.

1 Like