Rules for paid/prize pool tournaments?

I’ve decided I want to start organizing tournaments on OGS to hopefully bring people together to play more Go. In the future, I’m planning on creating tournaments with a prize pool to create some extra excitement, having real stakes on the line. I’m aware that legality regarding gambling might be a thing to think about, depending on the players’ jurisdiction. But before I make those considerations, are there any OGS rules that prevent this from happening here? I checked the Code of Conduct, and nothing seems to prevent it there, but are there any other rules I’m missing?

1 Like

In the Western Server Challenge there were prizes.
I think that even OGS contributed to the prizes.
So my guess is that it is okay.

Great that you are so transparent about it.

1 Like

Oh perfect, good to know! Do you know of anyone who has charged an entry fee to go towards the prize pool? I’m not 100% sure whether or not I’d even want to, but it’s a possibility.

Don’t know about that, but I think you best contact @anoek about this.

Thank you for the help!

1 Like

Yes, it is okay to host such a tournament on OGS. I think there have been many similar examples in the past, but I haven’t really been keeping track. Here is an example of a league that organizes its games on OGS:

2 Likes

Go for it! Theres been many online tournaments, championships, leagues etc that have used ogs as the playing platform ^^

Tho if you want to have things like entrance fees and and cash prizes, you gotta handle all that stuff on your own.

1 Like

I remember tournaments during covid, hold online with entry fee and prizes. Not sure it was entirely hold on ogs.

1 Like

If you are going to give cash prizes, you better first figure out what you are going to do about botters, sandbaggers, and other assorted cheats.

1 Like