WSC 2023 | Mar 1st - Mar 31st

Registration is now open!

Welcome to the 2023 Western Server Challenge! Like in previous years, the goal is to play 100 19x19 rated games in a month! This event is designed to encourage more activity on the server and to help players get over any rank anxiety they may have. Don’t worry about de-ranking, losing, or performing badly. Simply play and have fun!

Please @Clossius1 if you have any issues signing up!

Last year we played 13,642 rated games. Think we can beat that this year?

Results - WSC2023 Results

Edit 2/28: Prizes updated!

Edit 3/3: Added Results Link

20 Likes

I’m once again here to underperform in a Go competition!

Do we need to sign up in the site or just in this thread?

12 Likes

The site. I’m not manually counting the games ever again :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Joined, and less than 4/4 is not an option :grimacing:

(but I’m not sure I can)

2 Likes

I don’t see how sign up and manual counting games are connected? Seems like you just need a list of OGS usernames (not full out logins w/ email and password). Just mentioning because requiring a sign in can be a chilling factor - just look at how many people moan about the issue tracker being on GitHub :joy:

5 Likes

OT… but… I didn’t think that many people complain about GH? :thinking:

1 Like

The second year that’s what I did with Google spreadsheets. The amount of usernames I had to fix due to spelling and capitalization and punctuation issues…also many accounts got kicked because I couldn’t figure out who they were. So having a system that I can connect to ogs makes my work a LOT easier.

Additionally, posting winners and results is a lot easier on my database than converting Google sheets to data. Things also get updated in real time as well.

2 Likes

Well… so far I’ve played 163 rated games on OGS since joining in 2017. This should be interesting :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Huh, maybe not that many complain, but the ones who do do quite loudly :joy: remember MystWalker and the Conditional Pass request?

1 Like

It’s risky to draw inferences from this - for ever one person who complains there are unknown (possibly many) others who just don’t bother.

From the WSC point of view I can see that not needing an additional log in might be better in terms of participation but it’s probably a necessary compromise from an organisational point of view. And based on bitter experience!

3 Likes

I don’t see many lower rank players.
:frowning:

1 Like

40% of current entrants are DDK :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

We need the TPKs.

1 Like

Current entrants
:arrow_heading_down:
images (1)

CChristina
:arrow_heading_down:
images

14 Likes

@admins can we get this pinned for a few weeks?

3 Likes

I was intending to pin it closer to the start date

3 Likes

Okidoki, sounds good.

2 Likes

There are now 2 in the “beginner” (TPK) category.

…there could be 3 if you joined :wink:

3 Likes

It seems that only a few people see this annoucement. Now fewer than 50 signed up and some of them may not reach the goal in the end.

1 Like

We should be getting some announcements closer to the start date. I also expect people to sign up throughout March. I would expect a minimum of 100 players but we’ve been over 300 before.