WSC 2023 | Mar 1st - Mar 31st

Breakdown of the first 35 entrants:

10 entrants - Advanced (3k+)
11 entrants - Intermediate A (9k-4k)
11 entrants - Intermediate B (19k-10k)
3 entrants - Beginner (30k-20k)

:heart:

3 Likes

Play as many games as you can to win the prize!

o7

1 Like

Interesting opening move for sure…

8 Likes

Where can I find the time settings for live games? On the website it just says 10s +, does this mean 10s per move?

2 Likes

Yes 10s or longer per move is my understanding

1 Like

Okay, I’ll try it this year :sunglasses:

So either Fischer with a +10s increment or byo-yomi with any main time and at least 1x10s would be okay? And the same thing for correspondence but with 1d?

Do the (correspondence) games have to start in March?

2 Likes

No they can start earlier, but have to finish in March.

1 Like

So then every time settings is fine as long as there is at least 10s byo yomi or fischer? Could be a bit clearer. (Not you but the explanation of the event in general)

1 Like

I remember there was some controversy about that last time and thought that the bullet in the rules might have been intended to clear up that point, but it didn’t :worried:

I think the if a bit of assumed historical knowledge. Originally the idea was that people should play a lot of games but avoiding these being just blitzed games as fast as possible as a way to “game” the system and get “extra” games in.
But now there is a blitz category anyway.

But my take is really that the point is that you are free to do whatever you like, just apply common sense, do it to have fun, play go and learn rather than trying to test the boundaries to min/max stuff disregarding the “spirit” of the event.

2 Likes

I thought I’d been pretty clear for a while that is about when correspondence games finish and not when they start. But I’ve not paid loads of attention!

Okay, if that is the idea then it is fine. I wasn’t really looking to “abuse” the system. I just wanted to be sure I don’t play for example a 100 30 min games to then find out it should have been 1h games. :sweat_smile:

And still it would be nice to know where the boundary is between Blitz and Live. Because games count for one category, so if you don’t always play with the same time settings you might be playing in two categories.

1 Like

When you create a custom game on OGS you can select one of the three categories (blitz, live, correspondence), then a range of time settings is proposed. No time setting appears in two different categories

At the start of a game, the system calculates an average time per move based on time settings and board size.

Between 0 and up to 10s per move is blitz
From and including 10s and up go 1hr per move is live
1hr per move or longer is correspondence

1 Like

Critically though, not all games created in one category are listed as such by the server :sweat_smile: unless that’s been fixed and I missed it :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Not sure if you mean that as time per game or per player (i.e double that) but if a game is typically 240 moves then 10s per move is 40 minutes, so anything over 20 minutes per player should be “live” it seems to me.
But anyway setting at least 10s byo-yomi or fisher increment is clear at least.

It occurs to me that whatever the actual settings people could still blitz away in their turn anyway…

And to be clear, I wasn’t at all meaning to imply that you were! What I meant was that I think it’s deliberately not exactly specified because the expectation is that people approach it in good faith rather than needing hard lines enforced somehow.

1 Like

If I select live games I can still go for a main time of 30s with 30s byo-yomi. That would be Blitz.

Hmm, what I mean is this: Lets say I want to play most games with 1h main time, which is definitely live. However, lets say some days I have less time so I want to play a quicker game which is still a live game (I don’t want to play in two categories). Then it is really nice to just know if 20 min main time equals a live game. Without having to calculate it and assume that it is correct.