The following rules can also be accessed on The Nova League’s website.
#Important: Please be sure to follow the rules, in order to make your League games valid.
To enter The Nova League, one must complete 15 ranked, 19x19 games on OGS against opponents of similar level (and must not be provisional.) Please use the sign-up form posted on the TNL group bulletin to join. Contact the admins if you are interested in volunteering as a teacher!
Each player has the responsibility to schedule a League game with his/her opponents, once the new classes and pairings are announced at the beginning of every month. The start time of each game must be acceptable for both players, and all games must finish before the end of the month (24:00 UTC of the last day.) Unfinished League games will be annulled.
A COMMUNAL CALENDAR IS COMING SOON!
TIP: Players on OGS can be reached by chat, PM, or site mail.
All League games are 19x19, ranked, non-handicap, and follow Japanese rules (6.5 komi.) The time settings must agree with the current time setting of the month, decided by the admins and the voting polls. Analyze mode and conditional moves should be disabled.
Each game must have a title in the format of “TNL [Month] [Year] - [Player 1] vs. [Player 2]”, for example “TNL Jan 2015 - Mikasa vs. xhu98,” and the games must be public (visible to everyone.)
Player colors should be set as random.
Players should be present at the start of all scheduled games, be courteous and kind, and follow all major guidelines as an OGS user.
They need to notify the admins before changing their usernames. Unacceptable behavior, such as swearing, hate speech, trolling, or sandbagging, will result in disqualification of the player from the league.
To request an excused absence from the scheduled game, report a user, or ask for assistance, please contact the admins and we will be happy to help. Three unexcused absences (or failure to finish a League game) will also result in disqualification.
###NEW: The 1+3+1 Scoring System
Starting from June 16, 2015, we are implementing a new scoring system for TNL. Each game contains multiple points, which are added to two separate scores: game score, and league score. While the former determines ladder positions, the latter will be the major factor in naming MVPs (most valuable players) at the end of each cycle. MVPs receive customized prizes, so don’t miss the opportunity out!
Each game has:
- 1 point for winning. Winning a game will add a point to both the game score and league score.
- 3 points for participating in a review. Being part of a review will earn you 3 points; you can review any game in the league, or watch a review of your game live. Watching a review of others’ games will not earn any points, but you are certainly welcome to!
- 1 point for review quality (can be awarded by multiple players.) Anyone apart from the original reviewer can upvote (award 1 point) to the original reviewer. If a reviewer gets upvoted by 20 people on the same review, he/she will get 20 points from the good quality!
In other words:
- A player who has a lot of wins and does good reviews will be named MVP and stay on top of the ladder
- A player who doesn’t win a lot but participates in reviews of his/her own games can still earn a decent league score, thus competent for league MVP
- A player who wins a lot but doesn’t review will have a good placement in the ladder, but will not get MVP prizes
- Winning a game and doing a good review can earn you 1+3+[number_of_upvotes]!
- You can review anyone’s game; please kindly notify a player if you are reviewing his/her games while he/she is offline. Feel free to meet up and talk about a review, which will earn both of you 3 points for participation.
This system runs on trust, and scores are submitted via this form.