“Sente - Online GO” App for Android

And it’s surprisingly easy to use! Very simple and nice graphic design! I was absolutely thrilled!

I love the vertical design and board texture! Only one suggestion: currently black stones stand out very well, but white don’t. if the color tone of board can be darkened just a little bit, white stones would stand out more. But I am also afraid the board color being too dark. If it’s too dark I would prefer the currently version.
Would be nice if there are multiple choices.

Anyway, fantastic job! Congrats!

i really really ilke this design! fantastic job!

Kudos for the app, I’ve been using it for a while now and it works great. I have some feedback regarding the score estimator as it takes quite some time to return the score, somewhere between 20-40s on a game that’s within 100 moves or so I’d say.

Is this normal or is it just because of my phone is too slow? Thanks a lot for the effort!

More or less 5 seconds on a Galaxy S7. Now that’s somewhat old, but still… it was a flagship phone of yesteryear or the year before.
I’d expect this to be quite CPU intensive and possibly much slower on lower cpu ranges but don’t have direct experience.

I think i read that the score estimator requests from the one on the website so delays could be due to your device’s connection speed or server speed rather then processing power. I might have that all wrong though.

I see, well is not always that it takes so long to give an estimation but then again, sometimes, even with more “obvious” board positions does take a little bit.

Btw is there a way to review games within the app? I know I wrote one simple variation, the kind that shows in the comments and loads when hovered over but it doesn’t show in the app.

Variations shared in chat just say “variation (unsupported)” so i guess the answer is no. You can cycle through the moves of any game with the back and forward arrows though and it’s nicely sensitive to length of tap in that is you hold down the back arrow it accelerates through the moves so it’s easy to get to any point of a game. But you can’t “analyse” as far as i can tell.

For some reason in the last few months I’ve stopped receiving push notifications for my turn. Reading these recent posts it seems its an issue at my end rather than with the app. I have a Galaxy S9 running android 9 (was 8 when notifications stopped). Any ideas? Cheers!

You probably unwillingly silenced the notifications for the app. Should be settings (phone settings, not in the app), applications, search for online go, notifications and unhide them. There you can also select a custom sound, the app doesn’t have the interface for it yet. I captured a half-second soundbit of stone slammed on board from a video :black_circle: :evergreen_tree: :ear: :wink:

hi there, got a bug report!
in one of my games, my opponents clock says something like: -11700.0s (and is running)
i checked the game on OGS, he has 41 hours to go.

other games show the time properly, i have no clue as to what caused it.
android 8.1.0 on a redmi note 6 pro if it helps.

ive seen something similar. if my observations are correct, the clock bugs out like this, whenever a player goes on vacation. it should reset once the game resumes.

yup! he is on vacation! so i guess the app should query for vacations specifically every time it queries for time/ every time you open the app

This is off topic, but I noticed this too. Quite often I do not need to eat when I am baked by the cold energy of my screen :slight_smile: I suppose is a new technology still under testing. That is why they do not advertise it yet, even is out on the wild.

On a serious note though, can you synthesize energy? Maybe in English the meaning of synthetic is different.

1 Like

Hello, I’m playing with your Android application since a few days. I find it very useful. On my smartphone, which is not a big one, it’s far speeder than playing with the web application. And the notification are a very good feature. Thanks for coding such application !

3 Likes

Hi guys,

Long time, no updates… sorry, real life gets in the way :slight_smile: I have a new version for you though alpha_b186. There was a lot of work behind this one, although you might only see small diferences:

• reworked notifications so you do not get notified twice now. Should finally work as expected
  • the Settings screen now has a link to the phone notification settings for the app (on recent phones)
  • moved to a background check library that is google-free and hence has a chance of working in China
  • notifications now contain a snapshot of the game’s position both as a small icon and (if you drag down on the notification) in big format
  • clicking on a notification now takes you to the game instead of the main screen
  • if you have several “your move” notifications at the same time, they will be grouped together, similar to what Gmail does
  • you get notified of received challenges now
  • you get notified about games ending
  • several bugfixes (read: less crashes)
  • optional board coordinates (thanks to popz for the contribution)
5 Likes

That uses the same estimator as the website, I grabbed the C code and cross-compiled it to Android (that took some serious black magic to get working, even if I say so myself :slight_smile:) Like hman guessed, it is very CPU intensive (as it does a lot of MonteCarlo playouts) and sadly older phones might struggle (and use battery!!!).

It doesn’t matter how complicated or not the position is, but it does matter if the game is a 19x19 or a 9x9 :slight_smile:

Sadly, no… I am a lone developer working only in my spare time. That feature would take a lot of doing to get right…

The new version actually has a link in the app settings that takes you there directly :slight_smile:

Vacation and/or weekend pauses are not supported at the moment.

3 Likes

I’m still loving the app! I just had an idea about paused games. Would it be easy to make a separate section in the games list for paused games? At the moment paused games end up at the top of the list as they have the smallest (negative!) time remaining. If they feel into a paused game section after “opponent’s turn” games I feel that would be neater.

@teapoweredrobot I agree that paused games need to be handled better. At the very least they should have their timers be stopped and have some indication of them being paused… All I need is time to develop :slight_smile:

@amaddah thanks for offering to help. If you’re a coder, please check with me what you want to do as I am a bit of a control freak :slight_smile: If you have a pet feature that you want implemented, that could be a good start (somebody implemented board coordinates for example). The repo is at https://github.com/acristescu/OnlineGo

If you’re not a coder but you want to contribute (this goes for everybody of course) I would like to create some sort of onboarding experience for the new players that stumble into the app. Let’s admit it, GO is a complicated game and without some initial handholding people just give up. I want to offer them a chance to get into the game by:

a. explaining the rules
b. explaining common patterns
c. giving them advice on how to start playing. If they simply start an automatch they will be paired with people around 13k (I think) which will proceed to hand their ass in a paper bag. I want to recommend they start playing a high handicap game against a bot such as GnuGo.

But I am definitely not a go teacher, hence I would like the community’s help with all of this.

1 Like

As s short cut for b. just link tov the learn to play Go page on ogs? https://online-go.com/learn-to-play-go

And maybe for the rules the BGA won’t mind an adaptation of this?
https://www.britgo.org/intro/intro2.html

@MrAlex, thank you very much for taking the time to develop this! I use your app almost everyday when I don’t have time to fire up my PC (and I would personally take Android everyday of the week over iOS). :grinning: