“Sente - Online GO” App for Android

Thanks @MrAlex and @Popz to have fixed time issues and have added dark mode. I was waiting for this two ones.

The “What’s new” dialog was a good idea too, however I’ve noticed that the dialog appears each time I launch the application. Don’t know if it has been planned to work like that (not a real problem for me). I’ve tested on Android 6 and 8.

Thanks again !

1 Like

that was not intentional - it shouldn’t continue appearing after being dismissed (at least not until a new release has something else to announce). it’s fixed in https://github.com/acristescu/OnlineGo/issues/65 and should be part of the next release

3 Likes

Hello @Popz, @MrAlex. Just want to inform you about something I’ve observed.

Before the update to the alpha_b272 version, when we start a correspondence game from the app against a bot or a human player, time settings are : “Fischer: Clock starts with 1 week and increments by 1 day per move up to a maximum of 1 week”.

However, since the update, correspondence games’ time settings has changed to : “Japanese Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 1 week main time, followed by 5 x 1 day periods”.

For me, it’s more relaxing to play a Fischer timed game (with mentioned default parameters).

Don’t know if it could be easy to add a custom game parameter to choose between the most popular time control settings, like Fischer and Byo-Yomi.

Can you expand upon that please? I’ve tried three different ids and vanilla passwords but I can’t sign into the app. I’ve also tried my facebook login (foo@baz.bar form and password) but it just says “This password is incorrect”. What’s the magic incantation that would allow me to use the app?

Hi @plugh sorry for the bad experience, I’m afraid this is a bit of a grey area in which my hands are tied since I do not have access to the server side of things. I do not know what is different about your user that is causing this issue. The app simply works for me and presumably the other 9870 people that have it installed on their phones.

The only person that could really help is @anoek, but he’s quite busy so he’s unlikely to get involved. The admins have gracefully allowed me to develop the app and connect to the services for free, but then never committed to help me maintain it.

I am unsure how to proceed (I am sure you’re not the only one that is experiencing this, but most people don’t bother to log in the forum and ask about it). If somebody who is more versed in how things work with development on OGS can suggest a solution, I would be grateful.

Thank you MrAlex for replying. My question was really aimed at Jokes_Aside because he said he understood what was going on and I wondered if that meant he had a solution.

Well, another one can’t login in any way.

Kindly requesting a more prominent countdown timer when time is below 10s (e.g. do sound notification, same way as ogs web ui does). Lost couple of games not realizing that I am low on time.

2 Likes

@MrAlex please could we have a small tweak to how remaining time is displayed? For ladder games (increment measured in days) Xd Yh for durations > 1 day, not just Xd like now.

More generally, I think the principle should be to show duration measured in two units: the main unit of interest and the next smaller unit. So if the increments are in weeks, show Xw Yd. Does that make sense?

Thanks.

4 Likes

Hi, I can’t get sound to work on the app. When playing theres no sound to warn about time. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way to turn the sound on? I’ve looked in settings and can’t find anything.
Cheers

A question for @MrAlex I think

2 Likes

Is anyone else having this issue?

Hi @patrickhadow I know the thread isn’t very intuitively named, but this is the general discussion thread for the Online Go mobile app and so I moved your question here. As teapoweredrobot mentioned above, @MrAlex is the developer for that app and should be able to answer your question for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry I’ve implemented no sounds in the app. I mostly use it in meetings where it would be quite annoying to have any kind of sounds. If anybody feels like contributing this, it would be quite easy to implement as it would not impact much of the rest of the app.

@C4nt3r sorry for the delayed response, that weird error happens in one of the two cases:

• you try to log in with the wrong password AND you have either facebook, google or twitter associated with the account (basically the server does some magic to auto-login you using the social stuff and I did not take that into account)
  • your account never had a password because it was only created with facebook, google or twitter.

Yes, I should rework that, but I can never find the time. As you might imagine, the login (and the board) are the oldest parts of the app, hence the most dodgy (you can even see it in the graphics style).

New release already in the play store. Yes, I know, long time, no see :slight_smile:

Features:

• after many trials and tribulations I managed to get Kata GO baked into the app. For now you can only play against it (no analysis, although that might come in the future). You can also ask it for hints and also ask it to show you the estimated territory (wish I had this when I was learning the game).

Please note I was not able to “dumb it down” yet, so it plays full tilt. From what the people on the Katago github are saying, it should be playing at around 4 dan (!!!). It definitely beats the hell out of me consistently, so it might be so…

When I was studying computer science 25 years ago GO was considered “the hardest problem in computer science”. It’s amazing to me know that you can put an AI on a bloody phone and it would move at 4 dan in less than a second…

Please try it out and let me know your thoughts.

8 Likes

But there is a vibration when opponent plays and i can’t figure out how to switch this off. Maybe a standard Android setting thing? Anyway the point is that even this quite subtle sound is loud in the dead of night. And now with dark mode it’s possible to play without the light distributing one’s partner so it would be nice to have a completely silent mode!

It might be possible to turn off app vibrations through android settings?

2 Likes

I recall having a try at some point, i should poke around again. I think i found how to disable them all but not specifically for one app. And then after about 30 seconds of trying just gave up. I’m too lazy to find things that are not in the first place i look!

1 Like

it’s in the app’s settings, just below the show coordinates. It’s been there for at least two years…

4 Likes