“Sente - Online GO” App for Android

Is it related to the way some games show up as your turn in the scoring phase but others don’t. No idea why, it seems fairly random.

1 Like

That’s a good point, that also happens to me fairly regularly, but I don’t remember whether or not it happened with that game.

It’d be nice if the app was available outside the Google walled garden. The ready apk could be published on Github under releases; also adding it to F-Droid is a nice option.

4 Likes

If possible I would enjoy that too (Android phone in China, no google without vpn…)

1 Like

Hi guys, sorry for the late replies, I might have a little more time to spend on the app in the next few weeks.

I could look into making the app available outside of Google’s Play Store, but that’s not going to help since the problem is that I’m using a lot of google libraries for essential functionality. Stripping those libraries out would be a herculean task (if even possible). For example, the whole system of polling for new moves in games while not using battery relies heavily on Google’s Work Manager libs which in turn use Play store.

Contrary to what the anti-google people think, the Google libraries are quite useful, particularly on Android (seeing how they created the whole platform). I’m afraid I have precious little time to spend on this project and I’d rather spend it implementing cool features rather than fighting for a cause I don’t believe in.

5 Likes

Well it’s not about cause but I completely understand your motivation on what to do.
Thanks for explaining me.

1 Like

New version will be out in a few hours. Changelist:

• Fixed a bug that prevented the game notification button (top right on most screens) from cycling through available games
  • Fixed a bug that caused the AI to get stuck until you kill the app once you navigate away from an AI game
  • Fixed a bug that caused the notification button’s badge to flicker while changing screens
  • Fixed a bug on high DPI devices where the tutorials could not be clicked correctly
  • Faster app startup (no more blue background screen flickering)
  • Implemented a new login system and onboarding screen. You can give it a spin by just logging out if you’re curious. Just make sure you know your password :slight_smile:
  • Made all chats that are older than your most recent chat be considered “read”. This should make it easier for people that are using both the website AND the app to chat.

As usual, feedback is welcome!

7 Likes

Thank you @MrAlex !

2 Likes

Can’t believe I’ve only just discovered this app :flushed: So good! Thank you @MrAlex. What a legend! :grin: Wish you were here, so I could buy you a beer! :beer: :beers:

5 Likes

@dragon-devourer you can always sponsor on GitHub

3 Likes

I may well do just that!

4 Likes

Done! Now you have a new supporter @MrAlex :sunglasses:

Bit sad to see only 3 supporters out of 50k+ downloads though :slightly_frowning_face: Come on people! I’m sure you can spare $1 per month (72p in GBP or 84c in EUR) and you probably get more than $1 per month’s worth of value out of it. So cough up! $1 per month is little to each supporter but with enough supporters might add up to something decent for @MrAlex :grin:

• Overall, it’s great, so I don’t have much negative to say about it. I especially like that it just works intuitively straight away without any setup and the offline AI is a nice feature too.

• A couple of minor things:

• Pirate flag shows up as United Nations

• Non-squate avatars fit to longest dimensions so short dimension has white letterbox. Would be better to fit to short dimension so avatar fills the circle.

• Other than that, it seems almost perfect so far. Keep doing what you’re doing dude! :+1: :beer:

5 Likes

Hey @dragon-devourer , glad you liked it and thank you for the support. To be fair there are 20 more ppl supporting by donating directly in the app. At the moment that allows for me to take the missus out to a dinner once a month here in London.

FYI: For the donations in app Google takes 15% and the state takes ~0-20% in sales tax (depending on where you live). For github donation I get the full amount because Microsoft doesn’t take anything.

Truth be told that AI is useless to mere mortals because it is so strong. Even with the instant move it’s probably 4d+ but if I give it a few seconds per move to think it’s easily pro-level. Sadly I found it hard to dumb it down without making it do utterly stupid mistakes, more work needed.

Lol, not sure how that happened, but it’s probably going to be time consuming to fix :slight_smile:

Arguable, as some images will be cut-off like that, whatever you do something will look off as people chose the avatars for the website.

Thanks, I’ll try to find more time for it, but these are interesting times we’re living in :expressionless:

7 Likes

Just add GnuGo as alternative engine and let user pick :grin:

KataGo is OGS 9d, so with handicap stones is good for Dan level players. GnuGo is OGS 6k, so with handicap stones is good for 15k to 4d. So maybe worth adding another even weaker one too like AmiGo (19k so good for 28k to 10k).

Crazystones, Pachi good for future low dan players (around 2d).

But honestly i don’t use them even if i have them.
I am sure there are more interesting things to look at.

1 Like

A friend downloaded an app from the Google Playstore some months ago that is pretty the same as the mobile website of online-go.com. Now I wanted to download it too but I can’t find it anymore in the Playstore. Somebody know why it is gone? I know that I still can open the website from the browser or even make a shortcut to the website for my homescreen but I’m just curious why I can’t find this app anymore.
Thanks in advance for any clues.

Still available on the Play store here

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer! I know this App but what my friend has was a little different. It looked like the OGS Icon I will upload a Screenshot. It also says there that he downloaded it from the Playstore!

1 Like

ohhhhhhh :rofl: that’s not an app, if you open OGS in most modern browsers (especially Chrome) you should see an option to “Save to home screen”

That’s all this is :slight_smile: hope this helps, sorry for the confusion

3 Likes

haha ok thanks a lot for clarifying this for me!! XD

1 Like