Share your shapes

LoL! :smile: Well, yes, it’s definitely schwarz (black), so you must be right.

5 Likes

(Fun fact: Even though I’m German, I’ve never been to the Schwarzwald region.)

2 Likes

Isn’t the tip missing? And the opponent has already spotted that weakness and played there. The two neighboring double tip stones of your bomber are nearly disconnected. The entire stability of it hinges on that single central stone, no redundancy to cope with failures at all. This is not how aircraft are built. I think you can do better next time.

5 Likes

Oh come on… no one likes a pedant

6 Likes

The bat signal almost in that one!

1 Like

This shape is always possible to create. It doesn’t matter where white moves.
I did it in the last 200 games.

At first this 13x13 fuseki is not very effective. But then I have much more experience than my opponents. I usually able to capture all stones that invade my base.

12 Likes

Yes, I may be a pedant (though not the only one for sure) and I can’t force anyone to like me. But I do put my shapes where my mouth is.

I proudly present the stable bomber:
bomber

8 Likes

This one was surprising to me. I expect to attack with a hane on the first row, but that doesn’t work here. I’ll call it “the portcullis”:

I didn’t really believe it and had to wait for the end of the game to verify with the AI review that it actually made sense.

7 Likes

row

Only 14. Plenty of space to improve on that.

9 Likes

Double B2 bombers flying in wing-to-wing formation

12 Likes

Parallelogram (almost square)

6 Likes

Update on this.

I never see the vase. It’s not worth naming, imo.

The opposite is true of the jug: now that I’ve recognised it, I see it very often and I now regularly refer to it in my mental dialogue.

For reference:

• is the tiger’s mouth.
  • 口 + A is the crocodile’s mouth.
  • 口 + A + B is the jug.

The X points usually host hostile stones.

4 Likes

I heard a french player say it in a stream yesterday, and as @mekriff says, Inseong Hwang calls the shape a scorpion shape in 3-3 invasion type joseki.

The first two are from playing 3-3 point openings and the opponent letting me get an outside hane (kind of big and mini scorpions :stuck_out_tongue:)

The 3rd one is more properly from a 3-3 invasion where much later I was chancing my arm trying to live, and the atari was not the right move in this case.

5 Likes

Somehow, this shape rather reminds me of something different. :innocent:

8 Likes

I heard Mathieu Delli-Zotti, a french go federation teacher, call it scorpion shape too. Very resourceful, it is often played since AI - was it used before? I wonder if it has a different name in Chinese and Japanese? :thinking:

3 Likes

A few days ago, I made my first B2 bomber (as far as I’m aware).

11 Likes

Not B2 bombers but some other planes or spaceships flying in formation?

Screenshot_2021-03-22

12 Likes

Definitely from space invaders!

6 Likes

I think it’s Galaga:

10 Likes

@okonomichiyaki’s shape could also be called a “Y-wing” (from Star Wars)

Not mine, but I spotted this fish in the wild

Depicted with @pdg137’s solarized color-scheme

10 Likes