Share your shapes

I think we need a thread to brag about our accomplishments with respect to shapes.

I’ll make a start and proudly present: the hammer

hammer

Not only can it crush the opponent on both sides, it also comes with the advantage that it is easy to handle even for kyu players because it has a handle!

It’s a screenshot from an ongoing game, so feel free to comment about the form, but please no comments about the game.

22 Likes

I find it useful to think of this shape as separate (but ofc derived from) the tiger’s mouth, because it’s quite a common structure that occurs naturally following good play in many contact positions (not surrounded by empty space, obviously).

I call it the crocodile’s mouth Crocodiles Mouth at Sensei's Library

I’ve toyed with naming a jug shape when there’s an extra black stone at 2-4, and a vase when there’s instead an extra one at 5-4 (making a sort of enhanced bamboo joint).

4 Likes

Oh hey I got a hammer in this game to… smaller hammer I guess so probably more like a mallet :-).

And this would be… a bug because it looks like a bug probably a butterfly…

3 Likes

I misplayed a press joseki in my last game and ended up with this “fang” shape in the corner:

1 Like

Might also be a key. :upside_down_face: Think positive!

2 Likes

Screenshot_2021-03-03 Play Go at online-go com OGS

I will call this the “telephone pole”, it was the result of an attempt to reduce my opponent’s area (context: Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS). Use it to call for help?

9 Likes

a1

A close game. White got the edge, but Black was able to dominate the middle. Final score: Black by 2.5

24 Likes

This should be in the meme post :chicken:

6 Likes

Heh something tells me that’s not a rooster…

5 Likes

A pokémon?

2 Likes

But the double ataris around P5 are open!

6 Likes

From my ongoing games:

The little forest:
shape_forest

The non-functional boomerang:
shape_boomerang

Toddler riding on their parent, from a 9 stones handicap game:
shape_rider

And, a very special one, the two anchors, also from a 9 stones handicap game:
shape_anchor

13 Likes

Very wise. A truly anchored game definitely needs 2 of them.

3 Likes

I built a Super B2 Bomber

17 Likes

Perhaps, a little Schwarzwald :bird::mantelpiece_clock:

7 Likes

LoL! :smile: Well, yes, it’s definitely schwarz (black), so you must be right.

5 Likes

(Fun fact: Even though I’m German, I’ve never been to the Schwarzwald region.)

2 Likes

Isn’t the tip missing? And the opponent has already spotted that weakness and played there. The two neighboring double tip stones of your bomber are nearly disconnected. The entire stability of it hinges on that single central stone, no redundancy to cope with failures at all. This is not how aircraft are built. I think you can do better next time.

5 Likes

Oh come on… no one likes a pedant

6 Likes

The bat signal almost in that one!

1 Like