Share your shapes

This shape is always possible to create. It doesn’t matter where white moves.
I did it in the last 200 games.

At first this 13x13 fuseki is not very effective. But then I have much more experience than my opponents. I usually able to capture all stones that invade my base.

12 Likes

Yes, I may be a pedant (though not the only one for sure) and I can’t force anyone to like me. But I do put my shapes where my mouth is.

I proudly present the stable bomber:
bomber

8 Likes

This one was surprising to me. I expect to attack with a hane on the first row, but that doesn’t work here. I’ll call it “the portcullis”:

I didn’t really believe it and had to wait for the end of the game to verify with the AI review that it actually made sense.

7 Likes

row

Only 14. Plenty of space to improve on that.

9 Likes

Double B2 bombers flying in wing-to-wing formation

12 Likes

Parallelogram (almost square)

6 Likes

Update on this.

I never see the vase. It’s not worth naming, imo.

The opposite is true of the jug: now that I’ve recognised it, I see it very often and I now regularly refer to it in my mental dialogue.

For reference:

• is the tiger’s mouth.
  • 口 + A is the crocodile’s mouth.
  • 口 + A + B is the jug.

The X points usually host hostile stones.

4 Likes

I heard a french player say it in a stream yesterday, and as @mekriff says, Inseong Hwang calls the shape a scorpion shape in 3-3 invasion type joseki.

The first two are from playing 3-3 point openings and the opponent letting me get an outside hane (kind of big and mini scorpions :stuck_out_tongue:)

The 3rd one is more properly from a 3-3 invasion where much later I was chancing my arm trying to live, and the atari was not the right move in this case.

5 Likes

Somehow, this shape rather reminds me of something different. :innocent:

8 Likes

I heard Mathieu Delli-Zotti, a french go federation teacher, call it scorpion shape too. Very resourceful, it is often played since AI - was it used before? I wonder if it has a different name in Chinese and Japanese? :thinking:

3 Likes

A few days ago, I made my first B2 bomber (as far as I’m aware).

11 Likes

Not B2 bombers but some other planes or spaceships flying in formation?

Screenshot_2021-03-22

12 Likes

Definitely from space invaders!

6 Likes

I think it’s Galaga:

10 Likes

@okonomichiyaki’s shape could also be called a “Y-wing” (from Star Wars)

Not mine, but I spotted this fish in the wild

Depicted with @pdg137’s solarized color-scheme

10 Likes

So cute! :heart: :fish:

3 Likes

Oh, I only see the fish now it’s in the blue scheme!

2 Likes

White found a cool tesuji to capture one stone:
Luckily for me (black), white can’t live inside even with that capture :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

The triangle marked stones are “the question mark”

Screenshot_20210326-202134

7 Likes

Update: I continue to see both the crocodile’s mouth and the jug shape commonly at all levels from 9k to professional games.

2 Likes