Should we give a nickname to OGS?

How about British rhyming slang?

Let’s play a game on toads (and frogs, rhymes with ogs)

4 Likes

I think that for that to work, OGS would need to have an actual mascot, or some other thing that represents it.

I’m thinking, for example:

• Fox Weiqi is called Foxxy
  • IGS (with as dull a name as Internet Go Server) is mostly called Panda due to Pandanet.
  • DGS is, well, Dragon
  • Little Golem is just Little Golem

It can work in reverse. For example KGS settled on /ˈkeɪdʒiːɛs/ after its association with Kiseido ended. I seem to remember some people calling it kiseido before.

So, regarding this server, OGS became the idiosyncratic 3 letter acronym (following the common trend) for the thing whose proper name would arguably was Online-go in the beginning.

Should OGS have a mascot?
  • Yes
  • No
  • I dunno

0 voters

3 Likes

If OGS gets a mascot, please make it better than this.

10 Likes

That shouldn’t be hard to accomplish. :grin:

2 Likes

Agreed, but who are we mocking?

1 Like
2 Likes

In my defense, my first coffee of the day is looking at me disapprovingly.

4 Likes

As much as I’ve tried to resist the “ogues” plague, I’ve started calling it:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Oggies: small creatures resting on flat surfaces or gathering inside round boxes. :laughing:

Otherwise

• Where do you play?
  • At Oggie’s (Oggy’s?)
    :joy:

No, Oggy’s already taken…

3 Likes

I guess any spotted animal would make a decent mascot, like in Aji’s Quest.

6 Likes

Electing a mascot? Sounds like fun.
Implementing it as something meaningful? Sounds bad.

I like in OGS that it is clear, classy and inclusive. For me its style represents the mathematical purity of the game, and the fact that this is THE online go server. I think using a mascot in any meaningful way would harm these elements of the image. In a way, its image being less determined than other servers makes it more accessible for everyone.

4 Likes

Maybe just our forums here need a mascot :wink: and we can keep the main site pure

2 Likes

Slightly off-topic, but what’s up with this? :stuck_out_tongue:
(22% vs 21%)
I guess it makes sense to round in a way such that the percentages still add up to 100, but how does it determine which vote is worth more? Is it based on the order in which people voted or something else? (this must have come up before with how many polls have been made on these forums, so I trust someone with more experience can satisfy my curiosity ^^)

4 Likes

Implementing it as something meaningful? Sounds bad.

A good way to have a mascot is to not take it too seriously and keeping everything light, for example by naming the mascot “Scot the mascot” or like the frOGS mentioned earlier or have a puppy mascor named dOGSy or something like that :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Frank and Freddy, the OGS frogs.
You could make one of them black with white spots, and one white with black spots. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Since ohgs like rogues is clearly superior to ogs like dogs, may I present the ohgs rogue :sweat_smile:

Might shop him later to add some OGS and Go paraphernalia

4 Likes

Maybe if you change the crane with a white shell stone

Too much buff, little strength.

But we’re such a strong server :rofl::rofl::rofl:

We need something with lean muscle, good in long runs, but with quick reflexes, too.
And some martial art training.

Or a furry puppy.

1 Like