Should we give a nickname to OGS?

This looks more like a warrior/tank class than a rogue.

Here are some cartoon rogue-like characters, which could even be licensed for official use…

Maybe we could even commission a custom design from the artist for a more go-like theme or costume.

1 Like

A few years from now…

So… why is the mascot of this server a rogue??
Well, you see, there was this one ridiculous pedant that pronounced it like “ogues”…

canon

5 Likes

Wow, that’s a long con. :flushed:

1 Like

You should demand a recount

8 Likes
4 Likes

I woke up my sister laughing, damn.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I wonder how different this discussion would be if Weiqi or Baduk had won over Go as the term to go international.

1 Like

How can we get ourselves to that timeline… ows and obs are both so much less loathesome than ogues, not to mention the endless puns we could have avoided.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the other sets of endless puns we would have created.

3 Likes

Japanese Frogs :frog:, Chinese Cows :cow: and Korean Bobs :tiger: (I guess?)

4 Likes

I heard it costs millions of dollars per poll to do that. OGS team might be happy with any result after that kind of donation :stuck_out_tongue:

We would have as a mascot a WeiKing or a BaDuke of hazard :stuck_out_tongue:

He seems a bit … edgy. :upside_down_face:
(sorry, had to do it)

5 Likes

I wonder how different this discussion would be if Weiqi or Baduk had won over Go as the term to go international.

I actually think the term baduk would have been better…
Weiqi is harder to pronounce, and go is already a common English word, which makes it harder to google.

Also, everyone pronounces it like the verb “go” in English (the Japanese pronunciation is different) which also adds confusion when speaking.

3 Likes

I agree.
But when I went to the go club in the Korean cultural institute, the locals seemed to pronounce it “paduk”. How do the Japanese pronounce it differently?

2 Likes

The Japanese “o” sound is more similar to the vowel in the (British) English word hot than to the vowel in low. Other than that, 碁 is a single mora, which means it’s short in duration, while a single English stressed vowel usually feels more like two morae in length.

6 Likes

How do the Japanese pronounce it differently?

The word is actually igo, not go. And the “go” syllable sounds more like “goh” when a Japanese speaker says it (maybe it depends on the accent).

1 Like

Both 囲碁 and 碁 can be used. The former is more common, but the second isn’t uncommon, and is almost always the term used in compound words (e.g. in goban 碁盤).

4 Likes

Maybe a bit of topic, but recently I entered the go puzzles of Igo Kenkyukai into the OGS puzzles section.
I already had the impression that this name Igo Kenkyukai didn’t refer to a go player, but to something abstract.
Does anyone know what Igo Kenkyukai means?

Yes, it’s not a go player, it might not even be the title of your puzzle book.

Igo 囲碁 means Go / baduk / weiqi, Kenkyuu 研究 means research and kai 会 means assembly / meeting.

Together it means something like “Go study club”.

If you have a picture of the book cover (the front is likely what usually is the back cover if you hold it like a Western book), I could try to find out who the author is, and if that’s really the title of the book :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okee dan, hier zijn twee foto’s van de rug van het boek van Igo Kenkyukai:

En nu we toch bezig zijn :grin:
Twee foto’s van een ander boek waar ik ook geen info over heb :grin:

3 Likes