Show only "can accept" games as default on "Play" page

These days I don’t often go to the “Play” page, because I’m playing ladders and tourneys.

I went there yesterday and see that the “tons of can’t accept games” problem is still there.

That got me wondering: should we show only games that people can accept, in that list, by default?

You could have a tickbox to “show all”.

This would

1. Be tidier, especially if we can’t get rid of the no-one can accept games

2. Get rid of spam: what’s the point of putting spam in notes of a game no-one can accept, if no-one sees it…

Thoughts?

GaJ

8 Likes
5 Likes

It turned out you’re not the only one who cares, eh :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reminder: good to know that it has support.

I see I had liked that post back when you made it, but I’d forgotten it when I posted today :slight_smile:

I’m looking at it now (implementing).

GaJ

1 Like

In my experience, nothing will get done unless you make a post on the OGS Github. Not moaning about it, but that’s the place the devs seems to check rather than here. So that’s what’s needed.

2 Likes

… or you do it yourself, which in this instance is what I am doing :slight_smile:

Note that before you do anything, it’s good to have a decent concensus here for there to be a reasonable chance of the devs accepting it when it’s done, which is why I posted before starting.

GaJ

4 Likes

I would love to see this idea generalized to a “filter games” thing. For example “only ranked” or “not ranked” and the ability to filter by board size…

4 Likes

Yeah. I think that this table, and the actual game history table, should be filterable by all their columns.

But the first thing I can possibly-easily do is just enable switch off the “can’t accept”.

Generalisation might come later :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, you’re coding it yourself are you? Best of luck with that.

1 Like

I’ve submitted a basic solution at github, up to the devs now.

GaJ

11 Likes

Clutter, begone. Good stuff.

3 Likes

Awesome!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well done! :slight_smile:

I guess, now that’s been swept under the carpet, will ever someone get rid of the garbage? :wink:
(e.g. “max level 127k” and so on…)

This is not how we do things here!!! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: Anoek is working on a way to give us power to easily delete challenges. And many thanks to GaJ’s quick and great work <3

4 Likes

Don’t you just love it when common sense prevails and there’s someone like GaJ to carry out the work immediately? Great job…especially for my rank, where there are so many I can’t accept.

3 Likes

Suggestion: Show a column for the color (black, white or random) by default. I sometimes create 5 games as Black and 5 as White and have noticed opponents joining two games with the same colour, only to cancel one.

1 Like

Just saw the new See Only Available Challenges (or like that) on the Play page. Hugemongous improvement!! Thank you.

2 Likes

Can you also make those grey dots on the scatterplot disappear? :slight_smile: Note: it seems the scatterplot next to the chat doesn’t prune game offers that disappear…

It woudn’t be easy to quickly do that following on from this, FWIW - they are in a slightly separate part of the code.

But I also kind of think it’s nice to have an indication of what activity is out there that I cant partake in … a lot or a little :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Zombie threads coming back again and again… I’m sorry, but @smurph led my attention to the scatterplot chart and I noticed this:

@AdamR: “This is not how we do things here!!!” :crazy_face:

Any news about it?

I agree with @GreenAsJade that it’s nice to see the other side of the moon, but those aren’t actual challenges since nobody can accept them.

2 Likes

I hear thy challenging tone young man, but thy glove shan’t disgrace my cheek. I stand by my proclamation and the power to purge such challenges doth long exist. How these have escaped my vigilant watch and how they were present in such extensive numbers I do not dare divine (yeah I overlooked one detail, this is mostly shame on me), but rest assured I have clensed the row so you can all enjoy watching every existing challenge.

I read Shakespeare today, wanted to give it a shot too :smiley: thanks for heads up though :frowning: it is kind of weird, I will ask anoek whazup with that again.

6 Likes