Simple Lentear(Go) Rules

Yes,

as is probably the case with many words you use, such as the names of countries themselves!

We can ignore ‘Go’, which was simply Japanese shorthand never meant to stand as an actual name anyway.

There are good reasons to say it should be named after each of the three countries. But favouring one is unfair to the other two.

If you’re okay with draws resulting from seki, why does white need to be awarded a win in other potentially drawn games?

Calling it Lentitears would be unfair to all three, not to mention that it’s probably just as hard for Westerners to memorize as the Asian words :smiley:

1 Like

We don’t know whether Komi of 6 or 7 is correct…

In fact, in human play 6.5 seems fairest so far.

I wish AI was always trained on no Komi games and got more positive feedback the more points they won by. That way we’d be able to find out how many points ahead AI thinks black is on an even board.

KataGo (which IIRC trains with many different komi) seems to be certain that 7 komi is ideal for area scoring on boards with odd intersections (6 komi for boards with even intersections). For Japanese rules on 19 x19, 6.5 komi seems ideal. Yet another argument for why Japanese rules are deficient. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

On an empty 19 x 19 board, with New Zealand rules and 7 komi, after 900,000 playouts, KataGo estimates that white is ahead by 0.26 score points.

4 Likes

The reason Katago thinks Komi for Japanese rules is 6.5 is because it wasn’t trained on Japanese rules.

In fact, correct Komi in Japanese/Korean rules may different to other territory rulesets since they have the weird no territory in a seki rule, and also rules like suicide, status of ko after pass, etc could affect the perfect Komi.

So we need a neural net that scores each game it plays using multiple territory rulesets, trying to increase it’s score in all of them.

Yes, equally to all three, which is what’s important! And no more unfair that calling those countries names they don’t call themselves.

Someone learning the game should have a neutral introduction and decide themselves which countries Lentitear culture they prefer! I think . . .

I guess however that if in Area scoring if black doesn’t play the last move and get an extra point, correct Komi is 6, then it is probably also 6 for Area scoring. But perhaps perfect play in territory scoring is harder to achieve with black.

I think in league games where draws are acceptable, Area scoring with a Komi of 7 should be used, and in knockouts use Lentitear territory scoring with 6.5 points.

Indeed there are only two essential elements of Lentitear rules, that there is a finite number of stones that require a unique board position to replenish, and that territory in seki is always counted and even territory in dame is counted and distributed pro-rata. You could use it with Area scoring by taking 7 of the 181 black stones as prisoners, or with Territory scoring by doing that and also taking half a stone from the 180 white stones. The 180th white stone would physically be in two halves for that purpose.

So in Lentitear rules Area scoring is always used in league games and Territory scoring is used in knockout games.

I know this is well intended, but it’s really an impossibility. There is no such thing as a neutral perspective. Choosing a ruleset comes down entirely to subjective preferences. Your Lentitear ruleset is no more simple/elegant/olympic than any pre-existing ruleset… except maybe Japanese. :stuck_out_tongue: (And yet, even Japanese rules seem to be good enough for ~90? % of players!)

3 Likes

The Japanese side prevented us from having a universal ruleset so I made one to cater to them while being as common sense as Chinese rules.

Well, I was referring to the name Lentitears being more neutral, which is desirable. But since you mention the ruleset . . .

1-Both Area and Territory scoring are part of Lentitear rules. That already makes it more neutral than any other ruleset. Actually that was part of the original design that I didn’t mention in the first post, I just mentioned the special method.

2-The finite number of stones that requires unique board turns without captures to replenish automatically solves any perpetual repetitions implicitly and with elegance.

3-pro-rata scoring for dame is a purist interpretation of the concept of territory that only ING rules once implemented. Full territory logically builds upon this idea in an intuitive way so it’s better for beginners

We could say it’s pointless to learn, for example, ‘good’ writing or ‘good’ art since they’re both somewhat subjective, or ‘good’ user interface design. But some designs are objectively better than others.

I seem to understand that you are not familiar with AGA / British / French rules? Those rules introduce a pass stone, so that the territory and the area scoring methods both give the same result.

If by “once implemented” you mean “the professional players who were supposed to be referees for an Ing-sponsored tournament resigned from their roles when they learned about that rule” then yes, it was once implemented. Not twice.

2 Likes

You forget that an olympic ruleset needs to be equally unfair to all three countries. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m familiar with AGA rules, I guess I mispoke. Yes AGA rules are neutral compared to Chinese and Japanese rules, although . . .

Were the pros Japanese pros? In Japanese rules you fill the dame. However if you believe in no territory from groups in seki you wouldn’t like pro-rata territory from inside seki itself.

What would you say disqualifies AGA rules from being olympic? (I think your post above may have been cut short)

Yes, I meant to say that pass stones are not necessarily the most elegant mechanic if we’re thinking of pro play.

Don’t your rules incorporate some sort of pass stone like mechanism?

I don’t know why limits on the number of stones hasn’t been implemented in other rulesets.