Slow live time setting

Probably it’s mentioned somewhere, but since today it was a slow news day at work, I was thinking I could have enjoyed a game of Go in between.

Of course I can’t play something like 30min + byo-yomi, but maybe 4 hours main time absolute, where both players can avoid timing out but still enjoy a game throughout the day.

Has anyone done something similar? Is anyone interested in “workday” settings? Any ideas on the subject welcome.

2 Likes

For a moment every week i played 4h games with another player here. It was Fischer though, something like 4m+1m. Long enough to not timeout even if you like playing with analysis (shame on me) but short enough to avoid getting bored…

Another idea is just starting lots of correspondence game with forgiving time settings … eventually you’ll be online at the same time as someone else and the game will flow as a live game without clock pressure.

1 Like

This won’t work if I need to do something work-related in between… I just have the time to check my phone regularly during the day on slow days, or even a chunk of 30 min at once in good days (but you never know when a phone call or email will come up).

And corr games I fought hard to bring them back to single digits, nope. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I would try something like 1h+30min/move cap 1h. You would be at full 60 minutes as long as you keep placing stones, you could also have longer breaks if necessary, and the game wouldnt last indefinitely. Or maybe even higher cap if 1 hour for a move seems too short xD

2 Likes

I would have to sleep eventually, longer than an hour. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I like the idea of a small increment; maybe 2h + 60s/move captures the spirit? 4 hours absolute sounds fine too, though.

EDIT: Or 3h + 30s/move.

2 Likes

The reason I suggest absolute time is so that we both know it will end in the same day, especially if my opponent is in a different timezone.

1 Like

True, it makes the math easier. I chose both suggestions to take roughly 8h as well, though.

1 Like

If you are free 75% of your time or more, any time setting probably works, the main problem is to find a player with similar needs.

If you are free 50% of your time or less, it may not work. For instance imagine you are free from 8 to 9, then from 10 to 11, then from 12 to 1pm, but your opponent is free from 9 to 10, then from 11 to 12, then from 1pm to 2pm, etc.

3 Likes

It really depends on how the day goes.

When it’s not on fire, I can check my phone regularly, or even wait for the stone sound and check it to respond in a couple of minutes.

It’s not like it’s slow news day often. :wink:

I guess I’ll try something on Monday and see how it goes.

Considering that a game typically has about 250 moves until scoring, take 240 moves for easier computation. Then a 15 second increment x 240 = 3600 seconds = a max 1 hour game, a 30 second increment = a max 2 hour game etc.

Or the other way around, if you’re aiming for a max 8 hour game, again take ~240 moves as the total game length, and the game should be progressing by at least 30 moves per hour, so a 2 minute increment would be appropriate.

If you want to give both players an initial buffer, you can use a basic time. Maybe 25% of the total time per player would be suitable (so 1 hour)? Then reduce the time increment by 25% to keep the same max 8 hours for the whole game. Then you would have 1 hour basic time with a 1.5 minute increment.
Set the Max Time to the maximum time you are willing to wait for a move (but I suppose the max time can’t be less than the basic time). If you don’t care, you can set it to 4 hours in this case, as that will probably have no effect.

3 Likes

I’d be up for trying any of these settings on Christmas, starting at between 1pm and 5pm UTC inclusive. I’ve played fairly long time controls before, but never with this mutual understanding that players are going in and out of the game, not tryharding the whole time. I doubt this lines up very well at all with Gia’s time zone, though.

3 Likes

Max time is max time of player in total or max time Fischer can reach?

Max time Fischer can reach.

2 Likes

Hm, then we could very well end with 4 hours each at the end of work day, meaning the game could get really long…

Well, this is now an open call for a game with 5 hours absolute time each, starting on or about 2021-12-27T08:00:00Z, flexible.

1 Like

I tried to look it up in the documentation, but it doesn’t say

Thanks!

To accumulate a 4 hour Fischer buffer with those settings, you’d need to play at least 160 moves, so the game would probably be in the later stages of the endgame.

If you want to avoid accumulation of such a large time reservoir, you could maybe set the Max Time to 1.5 hours, to stop the reservoir from growing larger and larger. If a player then keeps playing more quickly than 1 move per minute, they will effectively lose their unused time.

2 Likes

You do realize that with these time settings, your opponent could wait for 4.75 hours before playing their first move and then start blitzing (and they wouldn’t be violating any of OGS’ Terms of Service)?

2 Likes

Yes, I’m just trying to gauge how it could work, because I like the idea of having a game going on through my day.

I don’t have to win and people can be people. :stuck_out_tongue::woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Although they’d be blitzing and I’d have 5 hours, so :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes