Spanish & Portugese for communication with the Ibero-American Go community

I’ve encountered many Spanish- / Portuguese-speaking players, especially in Chile.

Any tips or resources for better communication with Spanish- or Portuguese-speaking players?

2 Likes

Maybe speaking Spanish/Portuguese would help?

The other go resources page has some links to Spanish and Portuguese content.

4 Likes

eg. when I saw alemi’s post OGS team league proposal - #9 by alemitrani I was recently reminded of what we’re missing by not properly interacting with this community.

I speak a bit of Latin and I’m trying to learn Italian, but I don’t really know any Spanish or Portuguese.

(and yes, no doubt speaking Spanish or Portuguese would help, but for those of us not so adept…)

1 Like

I’m sure you’re aware, but there’re videos on YouTube of people speaking Latin and other Romance languages to eachother with high degrees of mutual intelligibility, so the Latin is probably quite helpful.

2 Likes

With an active vocabulary of 1000-2000 words, you should be able to make yourself fairly well understood in an other language. The rest you can learning by communication.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you are interested in this @bugcat

I have some tips.

1. Try adding some custom chat words and phrases for use in games.

For instance:

hola, buen juego = hello, have a good game

gracias = thanks

I am planning to do this for japanese.

1. I find google translate and google lens are very helpful. With google translate you can select text and there is an option to translate it.

2. Look out for leagues / tournaments and try to participate. All the Chilean ones are publicised on igochile.cl

That’s all for now.

2 Likes

Gracias! :D

1 Like

Have to mention the Centro iberica de go in Brazil-Sao Paulo ( founded by Iwamoto K. ) and one of his ex student F. Aguilar. 6d.(Argentina)
Some years I have no news but then he was a very active and regular KGS player giving free handicap games of high quality.
On SL: Fernando Aguilar at Sensei's Library

Edit : I found his OGS profile :blush:

And in a game chat

[7:22]
BadAtBaduk
[3d]
: the same aguilar from kgs?
Move 15
[7:22]
aguilar
[5d]
: yes
[7:23]
BadAtBaduk
[3d]
: hi - what a pleasure to play you. i used to watch your games on KGS all the time when i was a newer player
[7:23]
aguilar
[5d]
: thank you :slight_smile:

Me too…

The site of the Argentina go association with an interesting list of links

Groupo iberoamericano (OGS)

2 Likes

DeepL has a much better reputation from what I’ve heard.

2 Likes

For Japanese definitely, however, with Go terms it may be hard anyways, since it tends to not understand context very well (how could it, after all?).

When I have to write Japanese for moderation, I tend to check if all the words are interpreted correctly. For example, the word “match” is often translated as 試合, but 対局 fits better with Go; the eyes of a group are 眼 and not 目 (although the latter refers to stones on the board, also written as 子 and pronounced もく, or in case of 子 sometimes as し); if a group dies, you use 死ぬ, not 亡くなる; territory is called 地. etc. etc…

I’d recommend taking something like the Japanese wikipedia page and extract all the appropriate go terms from there.

4 Likes

Well absolutely machine translation will be worse than human translation, but if it’s what’s available, it’s better than nothing for communication, though for learning one can obviously bring strong arguments to bear against it.

Spanish (and English) printout kifu templates for 9x9, 13x13, and 19x19

And here’s a Spanish Go poster from the AGA.

1 Like

By the way “Iberian” in the title of this thread is maybe not the best word because it implies Spain and Portugal only. “Iberoamerican” would include all of Latin America as well.

2 Likes

As found in Ingrid’s 2010 blog article about her visit to the Nam-Ban Go club in Madrid:

I also learned the word ‘pichones’ which means something like ‘pigeon’ or ‘small chick’ and is a word used affectionately within the go club for beginning players or for not-so-good moves made by stronger players who should know better. (One of the women in the club had made a ‘Pichones’ t-shirt in the style of the famous Ramones logo for a team tournament – it was ace!)

The word pichones is actually plural. The singular is pichón.

Both pichón and English and French pigeon, as well as Italian piccione are – by the way – derived from Latin pípio, of onomatopoeic origin.

In french pigeon is a strong word you use when abused.

1 Like