Spontaneous call for new Werewolf game

Ah, so:

lúkos (wolf) + ánthrōpos (man) => Ancient Greek lukánthrōpos => English lycanthrope … and then into New Latin lycanthropus.

Meanwhile we also have wer (man) + wulf (wolf) => Old English werwulf => English werewolf. Cool parallel.

Versipellis would probably be the pick though, as a non-Greek-speaking Roman.

Werewolf: versipellis / lycanthropus
Vampire: sanguivorus from English sanguivorous? Haematophāgus can also be made from English haematophagus. Maybe we can make a word like exātus (“he who comes out of the gloom”)?
Zombie: reptor from repto (move slowly)?

3 Likes

Current Signups

Note: this post is a wiki, so you can just edit to add your name to the list

• Gia
  • yebellz
  • Vsotvep (GM)
  • KAOSkonfused
  • fiddlehead
  • bugcat
  • Haze_with_a_Z
  • Assai
  • You_Know_Me

Potentials?

@Chinitsu, @Brianvy are any of you interested in the next game?

6 Likes

No interest. I don’t have the time to participate.

1 Like

The latin wiki has Vampyrus. Larvae and lemures are ghost or spectres. For Zombie they use zombi, who’d’a thunk.

3 Likes

Perhaps we can keep the Latin discussion in the Language Lounge and use this topic to talk about the Werewolf game?

7 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue: Latin overflooooooooooow

1 Like

If someone who knows how to do it can split this off to its own Latin debate thread, I have a funny thing to post there - don’t want to derail this thread any further here.

So - back to the topic - can someone clarify exactly

• which extra roles are being added
  • is there a better cheat-sheet than the above wikipedia page, etc?

From playing this live, I know that the rules can get a bit confusing as to who can do what when, and we’ve totally had people blunder stuff and inadvertently give stuff away on Day X rather than Day Y.

Will there be a proctor or referee of some sort that players can DM and make sure they’re within the bounds of their role?

Yes, here is what I proposed:

It’s not final yet, so if you have suggestion for improvement, we can consider them.

Also, I will be the one organising everything, like @yebellz did last game.

2 Likes

split this off to its own Latin debate thread

Language Learners' Library We hang out here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I felt like it was hard enough with the few variables last time and no visual cues - the new rules seem to guarantee that the players will have no clue what’s going on by increasing the amount of chance and guesswork.

2 Likes

I agree. Let’s keep it simple and try to have fun, complexity probably isn’t welcoming to new players either.

1 Like

Alright, then what should be the rules instead?

I suggest waiting for people to express their interest to play first. Let’s not scare the fish. :wink:

2 Likes
3 Likes

I’m trying to think of a supermarket/online ordering version of the rules :smiley:

1 Like

Have you tried jumping in front of a grandma in the queue in the deli in a supermarket? Brutal.

1 Like

Are we starting about now then? Or at least we should have a poll on the setting and / or rules so we can start this evening?

2 Likes

Last call: Please confirm your participation in the next 30 minutes.

We are having a vampire theme this time.

@Vsotvep, I’m handing this over. Please give us the tentative rules so we can make final adjustments and start. But please keep the rules simple. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Reportin’ in o/

1 Like

I’m in. @Eugene, @S_Alexander are you in?

2 Likes