Starting a new IRL Go club (Ballarat, VIC, Australia)

New 9x9 boards ready for today’s meet :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good luck! May the gods of Go be with you!

1 Like

The stones are small so I’m concerned adding the star points. Could be more confusing than helpful. Any tips on how I can include them without hiding whether or not a black stone is on that point?

maybe use x’s?

Beautiful!

1 Like

I don’t think you need to add starpoints.

Thank you lol I couldn’t remember their name :')

Oh everyone quick! Important question!!

I play by Japanese rules on OGS but I was thinking of using Chinese for my IRL club since it’s a bit gentler on newbies protecting cuts and letting them play a little safer w/o worrying about filling too much of their territory since stones played are counted in Chinese.

Does anyone have any comments / suggestions on which ruleset is best for IRL play?

1 Like

Check out this University of Toronto Go Club’s site.:

They have a table of ranks explained. The neatest thing is that they have a list of suggested topics ordered by kyu starting with 60kyu.

Based on that table, I assume they introduce Capture Go, then progress to Stone Counting Go. After a while they introduce playing go with area scoring (Chinese rules?) Finally, go with territory scoring (Japanese rule?).

3 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: this will be a good resource to make sure I don’t miss anything in teaching. I prefer the territory method over the capture method for introduction but still looks like a good resource.

RE: all

First meet was a smashing success!! We had myself and 2 beginners and a great time was had by all!
Everyone is excited to meet again next week :slight_smile:

12 Likes

IMHO, Japanese rules are easier IRL because they make it simpler to count.

1 Like

I would go with Japanese. Chinese is simpler in the long run imo but it’s confusing to teach for beginners because you tell them that stones are worth points but then you don’t use them in the calculation process so it’s counter intuitive. Explaining where the points gained from captured stones go would be more troublesome since there’s no visual aid, In Japanese, there is a visual aid when you fill in your opponent’s territory with captured stones so they can see it actually getting smaller.

1 Like

Japanese scoring is more universal as well. I don’t know of any club or organization that consistently uses Chinese scoring outside of China.

You could use American Go Association rules, which are Japanese scoring, except every time you pass you give your opponent a “passing stone” as a capture, which makes the score effectively the same as Chinese scoring, but giving stones to pass might feel weird to your beginners.

1 Like

Much of the Asian continent with a substantial population of Chinese ethnic people apart from the obvious Korea and Japan, use Chinese rules. You are also forgetting Taiwan (they have pros too)!

1 Like

Follow the link to see the resources I just received today from the very kind people at AGA <3

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BallaratGoClub/permalink/339383823163555/?pnref=story

1 Like

AWESOME!

For those who don’t use FB and thus cannot see your post there I’m copying your photo and pasting it here:

If you allow I’ll also add a screenshot of your text there.

3 Likes

Certainly :slight_smile: though it’s a public group so I believe you don’t need an account to see the post. Either way feel free to copy over.

1 Like

Wow they sure sent them over fast! Quite surprised there isn’t a Go club there when you’re in HK!