Starting a new IRL Go club (Ballarat, VIC, Australia)

And here it is with the text.

And no, @BHydden, if you have no FB acct you won’t see anything but a FB login window (just tested with an incognito window).

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by HK (I’m guessing Hong Kong?) but it’s been established quite a number of times in this thread that I live in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. The package was sent from Sydney, New South Wales, Australia and less than a week is pretty standard for shipping inside Australia. For about double the cost you can pretty much get next day delivery anywhere in the country.

Wow, I had no idea this was the case for public pages. How bizarre!

1 Like

Strange. The address I saw as the location for the club was in HK! lol. Ok Facebook Maps has failed me. I guess you didn’t set the location and they automated the nearest guess for Hyde house to be in HK lol.

1 Like

Ah I see the problem here! The group page has the location set to Ballarat, Victoria but because it’s all public and we’re currently meeting at my home I didn’t put an actual address in for the event (address is sent out by PM) so yes it seems FB has guessed at where Hyde House might be located and apparently we all travel to China each week :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

1 Like

Also, for the love of all that is sanity… why the HELL would I ship Go resources over from Australia if I lived in China!!! haha

1 Like

@hiryuu can you check whether the problem still exists? I’ve adjusted the location and it doesn’t seem to guess at a map point anymore on my end.

Yes it doesn’t seem to show it any longer. What was the fix?

Also, you triple posted. You’ve commited a very serious offence and should be sentenced to Internet jail for life.

2 Likes

I changed it from Hyde House to Hyde House, Redan

apparently the first is actually a thing but the second isn’t :slight_smile:

I find separate posts to be a clearer way of presenting multiple thoughts, my apologies for making it look like anything meaningful was shared >.<

1 Like

This forum software does have a few features for separating thoughts within one post, though, like …

Headers,

Horizontal lines,

• Bullet Lists – Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam,

• quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat …

and …

1. Numbered Lists – Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

2. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat …

:wink:

2 Likes

I shall take this under careful advisement :wink: thank you for your most gracious enlightenment senpai

1 Like

So I want to start recording games played at our weekly club meet. From your own local clubs have you found paper or electronic records work better?

EDIT: Also, if there are multiple games being played at a time, do you get a player from each board to record the game or is it possible for one record keeper to record a few games at once?

I have only seen kids using the traditional form of records as they have no phones (thank god, don’t spoil them that early) to do so. Otherwise electronic wins hands down, You can even print it in the traditional format later if you want to paste it on the wall or keep the record in hardcopy.

From what you are describing I’m assuming you mean teaching game where 1 is playing against multiple people? Obviously the weaker ones should record rather than the 1 guy doing the work of many. Efficiency of effort.

electronic for sure.

i would assign 1 record keeper per game (they can be playing the game of course). the games wont go at the same pace, so if one person does all the recording they might have to record several moves while trying to think on one important move of their own… not fun being distracted like that (nor is waiting for the record keeper and then having to explain what just happened on your board :grinning:). if you happen to have a volunteer record keeper who is not playing a game it might be possible for them to record more than one game, but i imagine the record keeper would have to take the job seriously :slight_smile:. youll find what works best in time.

I would say it’s better to record games on phones or tablets with big enough screen. My phone has a pretty small screen and it’s difficult to make a correct move with my big fingers. So for tournaments I still bring pen and paper (and recording on paper feels better, just like playing with real stones feels better than playing on computer) , for practice games without clock I use phone.

Important note: if you use pen and paper chances are you’ll mess up game record by skipping some moves + often only person who recorded the game can understand handwriting, so immediate review may be difficult.

My dilemma is I don’t own a tablet and phone screens are often quite small… I imagine this is a common problem, has anyone found any good solutions?

Edit. I also think if you have to record every move on a phone it’s not that different to playing online and possibly takes the fun away from playing on a board?

Such a coincidence that you brought this up. I was looking into this myself.

You can print out a record form and from here:
http://senseis.xmp.net/?GameRecordForm

There’s a discussion on SL about how to record the game on paper:
http://senseis.xmp.net/?HowToRecordAGame

Some of the key points were:

• Traditionally, you record from Black’s POV (got this info from L19)
  • Black should always be odd numbered

@BHydden, I think there’re apps that allow you to zoom in or show position under your finger on empty space, so you can adjust immediately.

Interestingly enough, it’s easier to play on 2D computer screen than on real board. In top-down view reading variations is much easier, even one of dans joked once that on important tournament you should bring a tablet and look at it, and not on the board.

Really? So if you’re White you have to mirror every move? I was looking into it myself, but didn’t find any explanation. Do you remember thread where it was discussed?

By the way, drawing kifu manually is like a meditation. I recommend using red pen for that.

Traditionally the one doing the recording isn’t even either of the players so there’s no issue there. No one outside the professional world really cares about the proper orientation. And if you do record it from White’s perspective and want to invert it I’m sure there’s some program that does that. If not, just tilt your phone upside down.

… which is why I recommend any cheap stylus for this, it makes it SO MUCH easier.

1 Like

I asked on L19 out of curiosity. However, I was asking about those official recorders; not about keeping a record of your own games for personal use.