Starting a new IRL Go club (Ballarat, VIC, Australia)

I would love to skip the step of transferring all physical kifu into sgf… especially if the club gets much bigger…

I really kinda torn that I don’t own / can’t afford tablets… can anyone recommend any really good android game recording apps that can also sync sgf easily over to PC if desired?

or… I kinda like the idea of physical kifu… are there any good android apps that can convert a photo of kifu into sgf?

2 Likes
4 Likes

Could you just record them online as the game is played, in some place like gokibitz.com ?

IE you don’t need an app, just a browser…

1 Like

it seems like gokibitz.com only allows uploading of sgf… you still need a way to record it as sgf…

I was thinking of entering it live as you go. IE that is the recording app.

Yes @kickaha BW-Go Free is a really good app and I guess I may end up using that… but I dunno I guess I wanted to see if there were other options. Still not sure if I prefer paper or phone. Maybe I should just ask my group what they prefer haha

As in, a way to save it as sgf so that you can review it again at a later date…

In practice, almost everyone have a phone that can have a free sgf viewer installed. I guess in every game at least one of the players could record the game him/her self.

1 Like

[quote=“GreenAsJade, post:84, topic:12785, full:true”]
Could you just record them online as the game is played, in some place like gokibitz.com ?[/quote]Well, in that case you could just create a demo on OGS and do it here :wink:

[quote]IE you don’t need an app, just a browser…[/quote]Yeah, no app needed, but internet access, so I’d think an app would be a safer way to do it.

I haven’t tried hard enough, I admit, but I don’t yet know how to easily create a “demo game” in OGS, with the player’s names on the game etc.

This is what gokibitz is “for” - its one and only purpose, so it does it well.

I guess whether you prefer an app or straight to the web depends on how good the internet is where you are. If we were having a go club in my house, it’d be internet for sure. Then the result of the game is already posted online as soon as you finish, no sgf mucking around or anything!

GaJ

I guess my concern is that I want to preserve the experience of club play as a separate and unique experience to playing online which we can all do pretty much whenever we want. In my group specifically, I’ve asked about whether they want teaching content, etc. and the consensus is that references to teaching content that they can review in their own time is good, but when they come to Go club they want to focus on having games…

and to that end, I’m really trying to find a good balance between recording the games for more accurate review while also preserving that over the board gaming experience.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense: keeping the IRL experience is a good idea.