Stretch rating graph

maybe it’s possible to make a chrome extension which can change this so everyone can have it the way they like?

Just as a random sample, how do YOU feel about this, and do you use the light or dark theme? :slight_smile:

I use light theme and like it as it is now
great sample of size 1 :slight_smile:
btw there is probably life on most planets because all planets thoroughly searched were found to have life (though sample size is 1, the earth)

2 Likes

Right. :wink: But perhaps our sample size (of 3!) is not quite random, since people who are vocal on an issue are probably more likely to represent the people who care in the first place.

This reminds me of the statistical proof that I am probably dead, which circulated in the 1950s. Since the majority of people throughout history are dead, I am probably dead. Not sure if this gimmick is still valid, in view of the population explosion, but I still find it a good reminder about statistics.

1 Like

Want to extend our sample size to 4? :wink:

Sorry, I can’t decide.

I’m also undecided.
I see the benefit of quickly assessing the ratio of stronger opponents faced vs weaker opponents faced.
But, I also see the benefit of seeing expected results vs unexpected results.

I think, since you made the excellent design choice of naming all the colours just below the graph, ultimately it’s much the muchness as all relevant information can be fully extrapolated regardless of the colour choice.

Here’s the thing: there was no properly comparable “situation before I made this change”, because this change was part of adding the pie chart in the first place.

Before the pie chart, the considerations for colour was only “what looks right in the bar chart under the rating graph”.

To be honest, I guess I haven’t been massively “considerate” of how the colours work in there because I’ve never found it a massively useful chart :slight_smile:

The pie chart brought the ability to see your win/loss ratio at a glance (which was in fact the major motivator for it). So I’d be loathe to change the colours in a way that detracts from that.

Thanks for the extra range opinions : it’s very useful to have confirmation that I’m not way out in left field on this :slight_smile:

GaJ

Right, but that got changed along with the addition of the pie chart so that the shades of red are now reversed with respect to the previous format.

I don’t see how swapping the shades of red would detract from assessing the win/loss ratio at a glance? You could still easily compare overall green against overall red.

If it’s important to compare “games against stronger” vs. “games against weaker”, this would still be easily visible at a glance since “games against stronger” are displayed next to each other on the pie chart. I don’t see how swapping the shades of red would detract from that?

Therefore, why bother with this at all? I think green / red are obvious colours, the darker and brighter don’t really have any correlation with stronger / weaker in my opinion, as long as it’s consistent, and not something weird like bright being strong in the losing case, but weak in the winning case.

Well, they used to, presumably for that reason. I just think that it adds a layer of meaning without losing anything. But I seem to be pretty outnumbered. :slight_smile:

They still are, right? The more saturated colours are strong opponents, and depending on which theme you use, the light or dark colours are used for weak opponents.

1 Like

That’s how it currently is. As I’ve stated a few times, it used to be that the strong colours were for upsets (wins against stronger; losses against weaker) whereas the weak colours were for expecteds (wins against weaker; losses against stronger). I’m asking to return to that scheme, but no one else seems to like the idea. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow - it’s funny, right up till just now you said that I never could see any logic for the colour system you’ve arguing for! :open_mouth:

The interesting thing is that if I recall correctly I should be able to make it the way you want it for light theme without messing up how I like it for dark theme.

But the challenge is that I’m not sure the case is settled - as you say, you’re pretty much the only person arguing for this reversion, and we even have a light-theme-user voting to keep the way it is!

GaJ

1 Like

I’ve explained my reasoning (or rather, what I presume was the reasoning behind the original scheme) in at least two previous posts (first one on March 27th), but I guess the wording was a bit hairy…? :slight_smile:

In any case, I feel like swapping the shades of red would make sense for both the light and dark themes for this same reason. “Games against stronger” vs. “games against weaker” would still be easily assessible at a glance since they’re next to each other on the pie chart. But alas… :slight_smile:

You’re too polite, I’m just thick :smiley:

GaJ

I like your idea, and honestly I prefer it… but I also like the current model… so I’ve remained relatively quiet as I’m not exactly “sided” either way.

Took the words out of my mouth there GaJ, you really are thick haha that has literally been @Sarah_Lisa’s entire argument the whole time.

Well, sometimes thick is a useful filter. How compelling is an argument if it’s not straighforwards and clear?

That’s how I feel about “strong colours represent upsets”. Like… really?

Who thinks in terms of “upsets”…

:stuck_out_tongue:

GaJ

If upsets is the wrong terminology to get your head around, why think of it as minor wins and losses have faint colours and major wins and losses have strong colours?