Studies section

There are many studies in the forum. No specific section but you can run a search. Keyword “position” for example returns interesting topics.

You can easely copy links with demos or screenshots so don’t hesitate to open your own study!

@dragon-devourer well, in the absence of better options I guess it can be done as you say. But in that case some problems arise:

1. In a complex study, the author has to post multiple links to different demo boards.
  2. No one (except for the author) can comment on a position directly on the demo board.
  3. Likewise, it would not be easy for readers to refer to a single position in a diagram or propose a different variant.
  4. It’s not easy to find a specific study in a forum. Say you would like to learn more about the Chinese fuseki: you’ll have to filter through many discussions that mention “Chinese fuseki” before you find what you are looking for (provided it’s there).
1 Like

You can share the same demo board. Different users can put their variation and name it too.

But yes if we define a bit more precisely in what go studies differs from go discussion, why not a new category?

1 Like

I think you guys should go take a look at lichess.org, under the “study” section (if looking at chessboards doesn’t make your eyes bleed :joy:). There is no comparison to what one can do on a forum, it’s like running the tour the France on a baby’s tricycle :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m no chess player and still had a look. Didn’t find studies group but watch a bit of a lecture in the study chapter but that was not what you want to talk?
The characteristic of each game may change the way we present it, a diagram is easier for go without movement of pieces to animate btw.

Anyway you can have a look or even join
our study game for example.

I’m talking about this and this. I see no reason why it shouldn’t work for go as well.

(Again, I’m not talking about study games).

Checked out @kokalos links and admit that the lichess study facility is impressive.
In my opinion this could be a significant improvement for OGS.
Can also imagine that teachers like @mark5000 would be happy to use this study facility.

3 Likes

In theory we could just add comments to puzzle collections and we’d be a big chunk of the way there.

True, but not an ideal solution.
Comments section is rather small.

Comments are not exactly a big section on lichess?

Anyway I think if you want to make lessons puzzles on OGS are the way to go. Set up whatever you want, put them in the order you want, you can add a comment to each branch of the puzzle which it will show to the user when then play that move.

It’s missing the comments features of lichess is the thing I was pointing out.

1 Like

@shinuito I have little programming experience but it seems to me that most of the code is already there, scattered among different sections of the site. Making a new “study” section would be a matter of gluing them together. But I may be wrong, of course.

I think even if it’s just a matter of gluing the code sections together, the studies would need to be stored, presumably on the servers, with everything else, and there’s only one developer that can do that.

So it could be a while off before anything like that will be down. In theory anyone could help develop a frontend, the layout etc for it. I suppose one could start that as a project and then ask for backend support afterward.

It’s still unclear what you mean @Atorrante ?

Nice idea, nice discussion, but somehow I have the feeling this is not getting a high priority on anoek’s to do list.

@Atorrante If it gets anywhere in the developers’ to-do list, it would be just fine for me. :blush:

1 Like

Sure.

That may be long sometimes

here a description how OGS is quite busy today with other things.

Now the forum is still a good place to debate on further developement of course.
Maybe some selfmade pic of how you visualize a study page on OGS? How you would see the main menu? … I would love that (instead of learning chess :hugs:) and others too.

Okay, I will elaborate on this.

(1) Lichess screen

In screen (1) you see a section (right) where the poster can put the moves (coordinates) and explain the problem. On the left there is a space for other players to comment.

(2) OGS Puzzle screen where I can post a problem

(2) is the screen where I can enter a problem. The describe the objective area is rather small. Only the puzzle creator can write there. Not accessible for others.

(3) Just a puzzle screen of a random puzzle

This is just a screen that I don’t control. I cannot comment here.

So the OGS Puzzles section does not facilitate the possibilities that Lichess does.
I am sure that there we can create a clumsy work around for this, but that won’t be as elegant as Lichess’s study rooms :smiley:

3 Likes

And what I was saying was that if the creator wanted to do a similarly commentary on each move they can

So really we just need somewhere users of the puzzle can comment and give feedback, and we would have similar enough functionality.

If you look at the joseki explorer, that type of comment system I mean one could add.

2 Likes

In the meantime, mark5000 is doing this to some extent in Principles of 9x9 Go

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.