Suggestion: Colorcoding game history

Awesome! it looks great :slight_smile:.

thanks a lot!

3 Likes

Nice! Can you put the game speed icon right next to the board size? Would add only a handful of pixels to the width :slight_smile:

The alternative is an “extra info” column on the right, which we would have to scroll to get to.

That would be really quite fine: having to scroll to get to extra info that you want occasionally is not a bad thing. Might even be the “right” answer at the moment.

I dunno I think pairing board size and game speed makes the most sense, I vote for putting it between size and name

Now that I think more about it, I think there is definitely an argument that speed is universally an interesting thing, coupled with game size. If you can see at a glance that a person plays only blitz or only correspondence, that’s very useful not only for moderators, but also for understanding your opponent.

So I agree.

3 Likes

Latest proposed changes:

2 Likes

Thanks, @BHydden. I didn’t think to post screenshots here again.

I tried it out both next to the board size and at the beginning of the row. Beginning of the row looks and flows a bit better. Having the icon in the middle of the row breaks it up too much I think.

3 Likes

Nice! Bring it on! :smiley:

1 Like

While we’re on the subject of presenting game-history information, would it be possible to tweak it so that there doesn’t need to be a slider even on full screen with a laptop. It’s particularly irksome when you want to look at not-annulled ranked games:

slider

2 Likes

I think there’s a “whole rework” of the game history table and indeed the profile page that’s needed, and my guess is that this would fall into that category.

That very-irritating behaviour is a result of the overall page layout, which has to accommodate everything from tiny phones to huge screens. It’s really rather hard to get this right.

It’s also a result of the particular table technology and how the data is fetched from the server - doing nice things like making the table filterable and searchable, and a more friendly non-scrolling width is all tangled up with this.

Don’t let me put anyone off trying: please please do if you can.

I’m just noting that I agree that these things need to be improve, and I’ve looked a little into how would that be done and been daunted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seems to me most of the ‘information’ in the game name is redundant or repeated (like the names). A lot of room could be saved by replacing the ‘Name’ space with a simple indication of type. eg. L=Ladder, T=Tournament, F=Friendly, Q=Quickmatch and maybe include the speed here too.

The full name could be made to show with a tool-tip maybe.

5 Likes

I agree. I was looking at options for sorting, and while it is technically possible to do in front end, it would be more trouble than it’s worth :confused:

As for the Scrolling, while I suspect scrolling may still be a thing on some screen sizes, with the proposed changes you can tell if a game counts toward your rank by whether or not the result is highlighted. So you wouldn’t really have to scroll to see that info

4 Likes

Will this account for annulled/not annulled?

3 Likes

Yep! Only ranked, non-annulled games get the highlight :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The backend does the filtering/sorting for you, if you ask nice.

For me it’s more an UI thing, where to put all those filer elements.

5 Likes

Awesome. I thought it might. Is there a link to api documentation?

1 Like

There is only an outdated and incomplete one: https://ogs.docs.apiary.io/#

I usually take a look on the website and the frontend code to figure out, what’s possible. (Trying out stuff does help as well).

So far I’ve found:

• __element_name: selecting an element of a json dictionary.
  • __gt: greater than
  • __gte: greater or equal
  • __lt: lower than
  • __lte: lower or equal
  • __icontains: search for substring (case insensitive)
  • __isnull: (true, false)

Sorting works for some elements, but not for all. It’s try and find out if it’s sorted.

2 Likes

I’ve found @flovo to be rather effective in this regard :wink:

2 Likes

has been implemented :smiley:.

i like the solution very much. thx @RubyMineshaft and everyone!

4 Likes

Exceptionally good looking! Good ideas all around. Thanks devs.

4 Likes

It looks like if the “W+Resignation” column was smaller it would be ok.

W+Resignation -> W + R
W+112.5 points -> W +112.5
B+Cancellation, annulled -> B+C
W+Timeout -> W+T

would save a lot of space, and it’s not like it takes any effort to learn what it means.

2 Likes