Suggestion: Colorcoding game history

There is always a tradeoff between providing rich information and easy to understand information.

At all times “is this rich information easy enough to understand?” is a legitimate question, I want to say that. I didn’t mean to dismiss that question out of hand.

My own reference to the documentation was slightly tongue in cheek for the exact reason Kaworu_Nagisa pointed out - it’s not often read.

I initially was excited about the rich information we now have at our hands.

After a little thought, I find myself wondering “actually, do we need the flood of colour to describe relative ranking of the players on a per-game basis?”.

In fact, you can see the relative rank of the two players in their ranks right along side, so possibly this is extra coloration that we don’t need?

Ranked vs unranked and “cancelled” is extremely helpful to be able to see at a glance via coloration.

1 Like

Ironically, it was “make the history colours match the graph colours” that was the original request, and all the other changes only came up later in the following discussion and production.

The majority of the response I’ve seen to the change has been positive. I don’t think there’s necessarily anything wrong with having more info available.

Also, the colors are based on rating and not rank, as someone the same rank as you with a higher rating counts as a win/loss vs stronger. In that case you can’t see how that game affects your rank solely through the rank numbers on the table.

To say that the colors are confusing is a bit unfounded in my opinion, as they are based on the rank chart.

2 Likes

I agree, I love the new design and think it is a huge improvement, discussion about optimising the layout aside, the only colouring change I’d make is the one flovo suggested earlier:

2 Likes

Going to implement that tomorrow morning and take a look at the table itself. Annulment color is a very easy fix just need to adjust one line of code.

2 Likes

Yeah I figured that was the case, thanks for looking into that it should be a nice extra touch to the already awesome colour scheme

Nice, have fun :smiley:

Edit:
Just gonna nudge my suggestion back to the top :wink: If it doesn’t work best that’s cool but it’d be nice to see what it looks like…

1 Like

Totally love corr, live and blitz icons in game history. Best change. Coloring is a bit bright for my eyes but since they have css classes associated with them I can change them too so that’s all good there.

Very nice to see OGS moving forward in general.

Looks like you’re going to change table structure as well. I myself struggled with it multiple times, scrolling left-right. You could try simply shortening the name to ~15 characters but it’s a tough call, I think.

3 Likes

Relayed feedback from #Help chat channel on main site:
Starline: i like the new interface where it displays wins/losses vs stronger/weaker opponents ranked or unranked in the color of the game's result

Absolutely. I like it myself, as I have said.

I was just doing justice to the question “wait, are we sure this has not compromised ease of use?”

Personally the colours are obvious to me, but then that’s not surprising since I put them the way they are :wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.