Surround — iOS client for OGS

Actually yes – it went away for about a week, but just yesterday it started crashing again. If I open the app it crashes almost immediately, during the “connecting” phase. No idea what resolved the problem or why it’s back. I certainly have not made any phone updates or other changes on my side.

1 Like

My friend here in Tokyo is experiencing the same thing. Is anyone else?

@HongAnhKhoa

1 Like

(cc: @GreenAsJade & @HongAnhKhoa)

The iOS and iPadOS apps have been crashing during loading for me for the past few weeks now, but in random intervals. It was fine for about a week, but today, the app continues to crash.

Here’s what I’ve tried:

• Rebooting my devices. The problem persists.
  • Reinstalling the app (on both an iPhone 12 Pro and iPad Air 4). After uninstalling and then reinstalling the app, I can get through the sign-in process. But after signing in, the app crashes again. I’ve tried rebooting the device at this point as well, but the issue persists.

Any other suggestions on how to fix this on my side? Or is it this a known issue that I need to wait out?

Hi Steve,
sorry to read this is continuing to bother you :frowning: Do not know a fix at this point, but if you are willing to invest more time and effort you could :

1. Open Settings app.
  2. Tap Privacy.
  3. Tap Analytics & Improvements (it’s all the way at the bottom …).
  4. Make sure Share With App Developers is active, if not consider switching it on and do the start Surround again, it will most likely crash again, but then go back to the Settings App and
  5. Tap Analytics Data and
  6. Scroll through the list (it can be loooong, depending on how many other Apps crash on your device)
  7. Look for an entry from Surround, tipp on it, use the Share button -at the top right- to send it to me ( mailto:Bart-Jan@Schuman.de ) and I’ll see if I can figure out if that info helps to understand what the problem might be.

TIA !

1 Like

Shouldn’t he be sending debugging information to @HongAnhKhoa the app’s developer and not you?

4 Likes

Of course ! @Steve_Scathedral you can (also) send the info to @HongAnhKhoa !
Just wanted to see if I would be able to figure something out and give him a head start maybe.
Feel free to send to @HongAnhKhoa or to me, or to both of us :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn’t think to look in the logs. I’ll have a look to see if there’s anything I can do on my end first🙂

1 Like

Hi @SNR, @Steve_Scathedral, sorry for the late reply.

I’m investigating the crash, but from what you described, I guess the reason for the crash was that the app could not process one or more of your active games. The current most common cause of crash I know is when the app cannot process a chat line that contains variations.

If you currently have a game like that, one work-around is to end the game and the app should work again. If this applies to your case, please share with me the game (if possible) so I can investigate the root cause.

I will continue investigating to see if there is any other plausible cause.

Hi @a_gor, I appologize for the late reply. Is there any error message when you sign in with your Google account?

You can also set a password in OGS settings and sign in with that instead of going through Google account.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply and for looking into the issue, @HongAnhKhoa.

I seem to have solved the issue. Below are some steps I took to resolve the issue and some additional confirmation steps:

1. Create a new game from the web UI.
  2. Open Surround on my phone (before my opponent accepts the invite). The app still refuses to open.
  3. After my opponent accepts the invite, open Surround. The app opens as expected.
  4. Make moves in the new game. The app responds as expected.
  5. Make moves in the previous game I was playing (when the app was force closing). The app responds as expected.
  6. Close the app, and reboot the device.
  7. Open Surround. The app responds as expected.

If the issue happens again, I’ll be sure to let you know after trying these troubleshooting methods again.

In the meantime, let me know I can help with any other troubleshooting!

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the information. Was your device on iOS 15.2 the last time it crashed?

Let me know if the issue happens again, I think I have some idea on what might have happened but it is quite hard to track it down.

2 Likes

Yes, the last time it crashed (earlier this week before I followed the steps I mentioned above) I was on iOS 15.2.

The first time it crashed a few weeks ago, I was on iOS 15.1.1.

No issues to report! I also just installed the update to the app today and it’s still running perfectly.

1 Like

Hi @HongAnhKhoa.
The issue is happening again, and I think I’ve pinpointed what causes it.
Here are the steps I took to produce the issue in the app:

1. Made a move in an in-progress game.
  2. Sent a message to my opponent in that game. This message contained alphabet characters and a period. No numbers or special characters.
  3. Closed the app, and opened it. No issue there.
  4. Receive notification that my opponent has made a move.
  5. Open the app. The app force closes.
  6. Uninstall the app, reboot the device, reinstall the app. The app continues to force close.

This issue is a little odd because a couple months, I had no issues with sending chat messages to others. This issue has only started occurring over the last 1 to 1.5 months.

Please let me know if there’s any other information I can provide to help resolve the issue.

1 Like

Hi @Steve_Scathedral,

Thank you very much again for the information. I think I know the cause of the crash now: the app probably always crashes for you in the weekend (OGS weekend, you can see the weekend time on this page).

Weekend is ending soon, so please let me know if it works again for you tomorrow.

I will release a fix for this soon.

4 Likes

I have just released version 1.2.3 with a fix for the weekend crash, let me know if it works for you @Steve_Scathedral :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Hi @HongAnhKhoa. Just updated and confirmed: Issue fixed! Thanks a lot for this! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

I have just released a new version to support Rengo.

As usual, you can download/update it on the App Store: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1535010544.

Thanks @GreenAsJade for keeping me up to date on the development of the feature. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Wow quick work! Well done :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Hi! I’m on the new version and I cannot create custom games

The create challenge button switches to the spinning wheel and back but nothing happens.

Auto match works fine.

1 Like

I have just released a new version (1.3.1) to fix this issue. Can you check it out to see if it works?

Thanks for letting me know.

4 Likes