Teacher or Pro Accounts

Is there any concept of Teacher or Pro accounts on OGS? Feng Yun 9P is planning to do some private lessons on OGS and asked if there is anything like the KGS teacher accounts.

6 Likes

He can create his group where he invites them for private lessons(the group is private but don’t hide details.Also is their a link to the player , someone will mark it pro.

1 Like

There is a concept of a pro account. For example Professional accounts and games on OGS

I think certain special tags/colours were made for example for the American E-Go congress when it was played to highlight the advisors/organisers red/orange name and a tag/image to say AGA staff.

I don’t see why in principle this couldn’t be extended to teachers, but I guess one would have to define who should qualify for such status, and if they are professionals, then there is already the professional colour/tag etc.

5 Likes

There’re pro accounts but it’s only a recognition of their pro status, they don’t have special abilities, I don’t think.

3 Likes

There is at least one thing different, which is that when they play ranked games (which they can) it doesn’t seem to change anything, as in I don’t see any visible ratings, but maybe there is a behind the scenes rating calculation?

I guess this is the relevant KGS page.
https://www.gokgs.com/help/faq/teacher.html

I’m not sure if you would get the ability to moderate chat on your demo boards/teaching games if a new tag was made. I guess there isn’t any built in audio. I think the review tools are pretty good here and being able to share variations in the chat.

I guess the teaching game feature is something OGS doesn’t have, but in theory a work around would be just to play a game against someone, and if you want to discuss it I believe you can just pause the clocks (assuming there are time controls) and open a review. I think the review board of the game is linked to the game itself, so when new moves are played they show up in the main line - at least when looking at the EGF streams recently it appeared that way. Again I think you can pass control between the players in the review as well, and review comments should show for everyone? (I mean it’s a review right?)

1 Like

For teaching private lessons , like on kgs for exemple, most important is to have privacy, and OGS has it (private in game setting).

5 Likes

Thanks all for the replies. Does anyone know how to request a pro account?

1 Like

Yes. When you designate a pro account, you can send any moderator a private message with a link to the account to be marked as a pro account. We’ll mark the account as a pro account once we verify that the player behind it is a professional player.

7 Likes

Damn I can’t make a alt and request for pro.

1 Like

Sure you can! First you just have to become a pro! :joy:

3 Likes