The all-in-one democratic game

Well, I expect black to invade white’s moyo even when white plays at K11.
If white plays K10 instead, there is more space inside for black to live and the gap around N11 is also wider, making it easier for black to escape.

Also note that black always has forcing moves around the E11 gap, such as F12 that may give white some trouble in closing the gap between K10 and E10.

And a white stone at K9 or K10 is not really needed to invade the lower side. White can do that without a supporting stone in the center.

I probably wouldn’t play K9 or K10 against a player of my own level, because I wouldn’t be confident at all that it would work well for white.

Wait a second

Would this still work with S9? Is Q13 critical for white?

1 Like

Interesting, but white probably loses sente after 5, because the 1-2 exchange means that white 5 is not threatening to capture at R10 anymore. So I think white shouldn’t play 5 until black plays at S8.
And black could even ignore 3 after the 1-2 exchange, because that exchange means that white doesn’t have as good a follow up at R10 to capture R9.

If say S9 is gote, and black ignores it… where would be black’s next move?

Personally, I would still go back to C8 or even C9 to break the lower left white moyo.

Well, black K6 looks like very big move to me. I estimate it’s worth 30+ points.

White’s left side moyo looks smaller to me. Less than 20 points.

Maybe white can just secure a large territory on the upper side with K14?

It looks about the same size as what black can make on the lower side:

White would have komi, but black would have sente, so this may still be a close game.

1 Like

B10 is certainly interesting.

1 Like

In that case, I think white will be squeezed badly. For example:

One possible continuation:

ending like this:

White manages to capture R9, settling his group, but I feel the price was too high.

1 Like

Ok this is some climax with according from what is debated new perspectives for white on the whole board.
I’m going to wait a bit longer to launch the poll, especially I would really be pleased to listen from more of us too (not that I don’t enjoy the current contribution).
Please, to ease the task, don’t forget to fix clearly your favourite final move after debates.

1 Like

An empty triangle to respond to P11? Really?
I wouldn’t answer Q12 with Q11 as white in the first place. I would go for R10 to force R9 black stone to make a choice, black extends up to Q9, white would just run toward the center with P11; black drops down to S9, white can hane on the top with Q9

2 Likes

I was responding to @Harleqin, who suggested Q11 as 3.

1 Like

As someone who love contact fighting, 9 out 10 it is a bad idea to chase liberties of your opponent, it would be one step slower by default. Unless the direction it forced can run into edges or your own strong group.

2 Likes

After w R11, b Q12, indeed bumping with R10 looks like the expected move to me. But instead of going up or down, black can bump as well.

This could become a big fight.

1 Like

That could be what to be expected from black to go, looking like strongest resistance. But hard to say if it works. Both black and white original group are weakened in the process.

Yes, I won’t claim that I can accurately predict what will happen, but I think both players have little choice after the R11-Q12 exchange.

1 Like

Q9 instead of bumping for black is not another choice?

As @claire_yang said, white would be aiming at bad aji of the hane at S9, like

(or perhaps some other move order)

A I knew that bad kind of shape, result is even worse as I expected… I was only considering w 7 at 10…

I’ve tried various local fighting sequence on the demo board if black extended up Q9, as far as I can tell, there are lots of tesuji locally, might work or not. Pushing toward the center seems to be the better option for both sides.

This is effectively both sides trying to cut off the other (black wants to cut off lower right white, white wants to cut off upper right). And running toward the center most likely result in semeai. I seriously have no idea where it would lead, but exciting none the less (and losing the semeai would most certainly mean losing the game).

2 Likes

My first instinct is to play Hane on the second line:

… however I am not very confident about this, hence I haven’t suggested it until now. If Black simply blocks with A, then White can play B, and the three white stones can either run to the center or connect to the lower-right. In that case there is a cut that Black has to worry about, to the left of A.

However I am not sure what might happen if Black tries to capture the two white stones, for example with Q10. Or maybe Black could orchestrade a trade of the upper-right group for the lower-right group? I am not sure. Even so this could be a sharp and important variation to explore, if we are thinking about playing R11 as White.

2 Likes